Thread: Registry reincarnating

Registry reincarnating

I have an annoying pop-up that I am trying to get rid of using RegCleaner. I have identified the program and keep trying to delete it, but it keeps reappearing right after RegCleaner has supposedly rooted it out of the registry. I have heard there are programs like this.

Anryhing I can do about it?

Win98SE
    'wtoolsa' is what pops up constantly, performs an illegal operation, and eventually sucks up system resources and hangs PC.

Remove WinTools

Additional info

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Free Tools
    Adaware , Spybot S&D , SpywareBlaster , SpywareGuard

Layered protection is best . Keep them all updated and configured for full protection .

WinTools will have a couple of processes running which will immediately restore the registry entries as you delete them.
    Start in Safe Mode and delete those entries. Do a search for WinTools in the registry and delete every instance. Before deleting, export each entry as you go. Export them all to a single folder so that they are easy to find if you need them.
    You will almost certainly find an entry in
    HKLM \Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run
    and possibly
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

While still in Safe Mode delete all entries in Program Files. You may have some difficulty getting rid of the empty folder but that won't bother anything.

Here is a couple of tools that I found usefull for getting rid of this pest.

Autoruns
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...autoruns.shtml

MoveOnBoot
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

I uninstalled WinTools 'this' and WinTools 'that' and the problem appears solved. RegCleaner does not find any wtoolsa or wintools stuff in the registry anymore.

However, I have filed the total solutions mentioned and will do the Safe Boot and REGEDIT validation as needed later on.

Thanks both for the quick and thorough response.