Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Case Study: Athlon XP 2500+ at 3200+

Your Friendly Editor

Case Study: Athlon XP 2500+ at 3200+

Use this forum thread to discuss SysOpt's Case Study: Athlon XP 2500+ at 3200+.
    SysOpt's Illustrious Editor

Cool system! I appreciate all the tips on disabling unneeded services and devices too.

I have a question you might be able to help me with. I have an XP2500+ cpu also that I purchased and put into an nVidia M7NCD motherboard.

It is stable now with the cpu bios set to 166MHz. But if I ramp it up to 200MHz, it restarts itself often. I monitor the temp and it stays under 35C.

Is there some settings in the bios that I need to tweak do you think? Or could it be that because the cpu is a Barton core and I am using 333 ram, maybe it won't go at 200MHz?

I know this isn't a lot of info, but since you have lots of experience, maybe you know some tips to tweak the ram bios settings or something to stablize it at 3200+?

Thanks for thinking on this,
    Little Simon.

The Barton CPU is an excellent CPU for overclocking. Something to consider may be increasing the CPU Core Voltage. This does make the chip run hotter but may give you better stability when overclocking. Try increasing it by the lowest possible increments and see if you have any luck. The RAM shouldn’t be a huge factor, but perhaps try decreasing the RAM timings. I wouldn’t say this is really worth it because with decreased timings and an overclocked CPU you may end up with the same performance as when you started. But it's just another thing you can try.

For the most part, don’t jump right from 166MHz to 200MHz. Every CPU is different, I lucked out with mine. Overclock in low increments until you hit the point where things become unstable. Maybe you'll get a stable system at 198MHz...

Finally, I doubt this is helpful but when I first upgraded from my old P2 system I wanted to keep things cheap so I got a Biostar motherboard. I was so unimpressed with the performance I sold it within 3 months of owning it. I don't know if they've changed or if it was just a lemon, but in my experience they weren't that great. So perhaps your motherboard is the bottleneck in this whole thing?

Good luck and thanks for your interest in my system.

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    Couple months ago all anyone was talking about was how to OC a Barton 2500 to XP3200 speeds. Still a great chip, still capable of that OC and higher, and cheaper. I love AMD
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    Biostar isn't a bottleneck. It all has to do with the chipset that it uses. I used to have Biostar board with an old Athlon 900. Thing ran really fast and very nice. Board had no OC options, but worked great.
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Before purchasing parts for a new system, I made the choice to go with a Barton 2500+ primarily for its great value and friendliness to overclocking. Then I combed the Internet for any articles regarding the proc which included the Case Study article here on SysOpt.

In anycase, the 2500+ has been running stably at 200fsb with 11x multiplier for 2.2+GHz. I bumped up the VCore to 1.7. I think I can push it a little more, but things start to get erratic around 205fsb. I would like to see the lower temps, but they are satisfactory. At idle, its at 47C and under load its at 50C to 51C while only using a ThermalTake 10+ Slim Volcano.

And to keep this post true to the forum, I will be adding a window and a 92mm fan to the side panel to increase air circulation in the Antec case. I'll probably throw in a cathode light tube as well.

Soon, very soon, the dremel will be unleashed heh.
    AMD Athlon 2500+ (oc'ed to 3200)
    Asus A7V600 motherboard
    1GB Kingston Hyper-X PC3200 memory
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/128MB oc'ed

Odd...

So after overclocking, 3dMark2003 showed a decrease (albeit slight) in score?

3DMark 03

* 5403 (Before CPU Overclock)
    * 5384 (After CPU Overclock)

im useing a 2500+ at 3200+

NF7-s v2
    2x256 pc3200 crucial
    80GB WD sata
    radeon 9800se
    creative gd580's 5.1 optical
    (built in optical decoder origonally bought it for my xbox but useing it on my pc untill i can get a tv tuner card and use my pc to use my xbox)
    Xaser II (window comming soon)

i've got my 2500 at 3200 with a temp between 40-49 celcus STOCK COOLER but i ordered artic sillver 5 and am going to put it on my cpu, northbridge, and gpu then overclock some more

I also just bought a uv cable sleving kit and a uv powersuply plug replacement kit and 2 cold cathods. And i just need to find a place that can sell me acrylic or i will go to a glass shop and get a piece of glass cut 4 me.
    Xaser II case
    2500+ barton ( at 3200+ with stock cooler and still sub 50* celcuis)
    ANF7-S
    2x256MB pc3200 crucial
    80GB western digital SATA
    liteon 52x32x52 black
    radeon 9800se

The Biostar M7NCD is not capable of overclocking unless it is a pro model. Other Biostar boards are but not that one. It even comes with a clocking program that works on the M7NCD pro deluxe boards but not on the plain jane board. I have one too and tied to overclock an 1800+. No can do.

I'm using the MSI K7N2-Delta mobo and I've got the cpu core voltage set to "By H/W" - IS this a good idea? I've never done it manually so I don't know what it's meant to be by default

Should I be doing it manually? I've clocked my 2500+ Barton to a 3200 too, and it runs fairly hot but it's stable...
    Eh?

The default VCore for a Desktop (ie. not Mobile) Barton is 1.65v - choosing "By H/W" should automatically use that.

So if I change it to 1.65v, then work from there, it'll be better? I assumed it meant like, it adjusts it automatically as it needs it.

If it's just been staying at 1.65 then I could increase stability (have been experiencing some crashes in benchmarking lately) logically...I think I'll try it, thanks mate
    Eh?

Originally posted by ukulele
    The Biostar M7NCD is not capable of overclocking unless it is a pro model. Other Biostar boards are but not that one. It even comes with a clocking program that works on the M7NCD pro deluxe boards but not on the plain jane board. I have one too and tied to overclock an 1800+. No can do.
    I was wrong about this comment. I read several comments on the web that said it was not overclockable and I found that the overclocking software that was included with the board had overclocking features disabled. Also I could not get it past "verifing DMI pool data" after trying turbo mode. It also crashed when raising the fsb to 166 for an 1800+. Several days ago I tried expert mode and found that the fsb can be fine tuned in expert mode and ram options are also adjustable. The manual doesn't say a word about it. I ramped it up to 2246 mhz( better then 3200+) with a Barton 2800+ and PC2700 Kingston value ram, with just a fsb change to 189 mhz. I'm sure it will go higher but I haven't even tried as the temp is still the same ( with a stock 1800+ HSF and the old thermal pad) and it is perfectly stable for the last three days so far.

hey guys, im usin a soltek mb sl-75frn2 with a barton 2500+

see, here's the problem. when my pc came stock (from the shop) it was workin fine n stuff. i raised the multiplier up to 20x, fsb 166 it was runnin fine, in fact the temps were lower than usual (surprising, innit?) then i decided to up it a little bit up to 21x, it crashed, didnt want to boot up. had to clear the cmos. now after clearin it, it doesnt even wanna go up to 19x and becomes unstable once the fsb is 200mhz.. any ideas?

i added a 80mm and 120 mm intake fan blowin directly to the cpu n agp card. max temps around 53, any iddeas?

thanks, guys..

Yeah, post this question in the CPUs and Overclocking forum.

Welcome to sysopt!