Thread: Case Tempurature For My PC?

Case Tempurature For My PC?

Hello everyone,

I installed my new video card a couple of weeks ago and the card came with a program that monitors the tempuratures for my CPU and system (I can only guess that means inside the case itself, if I am wrong please let me know). It monitors the voltage for my Vcore (whatever that is) as well as my power supply (3.3v) and a couple of other things that I am not sure of (+5v). It also monitors the RPM's for my SYS, PS and CPU fans(Although it shows 0 RPM's for my CPU. Why is that?). The tempurature for my SYS TEMP seems to jump from 40c to as high as 54c (from when I boot it up until I shut it down respectively after general usage and playing Morrowind for a few hours ) while my CPU temp will go anywhere from 43c to as low as 32c the longer I run it. I am listing my PC specs bellow, please tell me if these tempuratures are acceptable or should I look at doing something to my PC to improve these readings. I have very little resources (meaning no money ), so if these tempuratures for my PC are acceptable, I would rather just leave them alone. Any and all feedback (about the tempuratures or any other mods or upgrades that would be appropriate) would be greatly appreciated.

Please forgive me if I put up too much information just putting whats in the manual, Thanks

System Specs;

-Intel Pentium4 3.0 GHz w/Hyper-Threading
    -800MHz system bus, 512 L2 Cache
    -350W max. power supply
    -ECS 865G-M Motherboard
    -Dual channel 256MB DDR memory (PC3200) (DDR400)
    -160 GB Hard Drive (7200rpm) w/ 8MB cache
    -52x CDROM
    -Dual DVD+/- R/RW
    -ATI (MSI) 9800 pro plus 128MB video card w/HSfan

Thank you again,

MidniteOwlLV

The SYS and CPU temps look to be switched. Some utilities have a method to change this and calibrate. I would check if your Bios Setup has a Hardware Monitor section and confirm / calibrate the Utility program to match . The temps look avg. (normal) for a stock heat sink / fan combo , avg. mid tower case with a fan or 2.
    Everyone can always improve on cooling , so you might want to plan for additional cooling if those temps rise any higher during gaming, but 55c is just fine.

A couple good hardware monitor programs that are popular are Speedfan and Motherboard Monitor . You can Google for them and see if you like them better. They are free also.

Owl:

First off, is your system a prebuilt (dell, gateway, hp), Im leaning towards yes, on account that you have a manual that tells you the specs.

I reccomend before you were to do ANYTHING to your system, you take the steps to learn about the finer things of computers. One would be "Dual Channel Mode" concerning your RAM. Unfortnately I lost all of my "Favorite" links last time I re-installed WinXP on my computer, so I cannot supply w/the plethora of informative web sites. However Im sure someone like Jakk or BPB could drop a few if you asked nice enough

Dual Channel mode requires two different chips of RAM to be set in seperate bays. (your motherboard should come w/A-1 A-2, and B-1 B-2, or something to that effect). Additionaly 256mb is a fairly small amount for more recent systems. WinXP itself requires a minimum of 256 to run. I reccomend buying a new chip of the exact same RAM (same size, speed, latency, brand etc.) and install that. I belive Corsair's site has a VERY informative, "interactive" guide to RAM.

As far as your temps are concerned, 54c is not very much if your computer is under a lot of load (given that rocketmech is correct about the switching of temps for sys and cpu). And 32c is exceptionaly nice as well. Do a little research too. When i started on this forum I didnt know squat, but you dont learn just by asking questions. You need to learn on your own, browse websites, look are reviews, get some facts Jack! ok good luck dude.