Thread: NVIDIA Launches PCI Express Interface for Notebooks

NVIDIA Launches PCI Express Interface for Notebooks

I wonder if ATi will use this or design there own version!

Since it was a joint desgin process ATI may not have a choice but to use what has been developed. The good thing is that the mobile market is getting to a point where we can choose what parts we want. It would be great to order a laptop and replace the video card as needed.

I think it will be viewd as making a graphics card for an AGP or PCI slot. Guess we will need to wait andsee what Intel and Microsoft do.
    -- Mathias

The Mobile PCI-Express Module specification (MXM) was jointly designed by NVIDIA and the industry's leading notebook PC manufacturers, including Quanta, Wistron, FIC, Uniwill, Clevo, AOpen, Tatung, Arima, Asustek and Mitac
    There are still quite a few major players missing from the design contributers listed, i.e. Sony, Fuji, HP, etc. There may be an opportunity for a second reference design, but I somehow don't see intel allowing the competition license to use it's Centrino technology when it can carry on installing it's own graphics chips and charging a premium for them.

M-Radeon was creaming nVidia-go in the mobile grafix market, looks like ATi will have to start from scratch all over again.

what do you think ATI are the intel of the graphics world.

Originally posted by porsch1909
    what do you think ATI are the intel of the graphics world.
    Why don't you learn to use, at the very least, enough grammer or punctuation to indicate what you're talking about? You either just called ATI the Intel of the graphics world, or asked if that guy thought if ATI was the Intel of the graphics world (incredulously so). Throw a comma or a question mark somewhere in there so I know whether to agree or disagree with you!

Originally posted by Necide
    Why don't you learn to use, at the very least, enough grammer or punctuation to indicate what you're talking about? You either just called ATI the Intel of the graphics world, or asked if that guy thought if ATI was the Intel of the graphics world (incredulously so). Throw a comma or a question mark somewhere in there so I know whether to agree or disagree with you!
    well i wasnt exactly writting an essay for my final english exam so i didnt think is really mattered so i assumed that most people in this world understood that when the words, "DO YOU." are used that that means a question is being asked. lol. no slap me silly for assuming that people had some common sense in this world.

but to be honest i wasn't doing either lol. i was making an ironic comment at the fact that intel used AMDs archutecture and strawbs said, "I wonder if ATi will use this or design there own version!"

it was really supposed to be a joke so sorry for causing you as im sure you did numerous sleepless nights. oh and you used a comma splice!!! i would fail my english exam if i did that. as im sure you can gather from my post i dont bother with much punctuation or even capital letters (im used to MS word) but if i really needed to i would...but i don't.

Originally posted by porsch1909
    well i wasnt exactly writting an essay for my final english exam so i didnt think is really mattered so i assumed that most people in this world understood that when the words, "DO YOU." are used that that means a question is being asked. lol. no slap me silly for assuming that people had some common sense in this world.

but to be honest i wasn't doing either lol. i was making an ironic comment at the fact that intel used AMDs archutecture and strawbs said, "I wonder if ATi will use this or design there own version!"

it was really supposed to be a joke so sorry for causing you as im sure you did numerous sleepless nights. oh and you used a comma splice!!! i would fail my english exam if i did that. as im sure you can gather from my post i dont bother with much punctuation or even capital letters (im used to MS word) but if i really needed to i would...but i don't.
    Um, ok. Calm down. Why would I assume the order of your words had any merit amidst a sentence devoid of even the most minimal grammatical indications? Bottom line is that it could easily be interpreted 2 ways, there was no dominant format. I only asked because I was interested in discussing the topic with you. Not to start a grammar war. Sorry if that's what you interpreted. I'll not bother you any further.

-Necide

Mobile PCI Express

NVidia is just using their own name. ATI, SiS, Intel, and many other mobile and tower PC graphics card makers will support the new PCI Express standard.

If you want further details on the standard see:

http://www.pciexpressdevnet.org/: Intel Developer Network for PCI Express -- whitepapers, videos, and overviews

PCI-Sig -- the group coordinating the change

The fact we'll be able to install our own graphics upgrades by using a standard will be really cool. We'll be able to pop in an external card called ExpressCard that is based on this new PCI Express.