Thread: Wireless connection

Wireless connection

I have wireless dsl connection to the internet. I have an antenna on the outside of my house with a coaxial cable going to a pci card in my pc.
    I want to connect wirelessly to it with my laptop. I got a wireless access point and connected it to my main pc. My laptop has a built in wireless card. I can't get the two to connect.
    My laptop sees the access point with excellent signal. I can't ping from either direction. Any suggestions?
    Main computer: Win 2000 pro.
    laptop: Win xp pro.

whoa. that's a lot of stuff.

how are you connecting the win2k system to the WAP? cable or wireless? I'm gonna guess it's wired.

you would need to enable ICS on the win2k system, then connect the WAP to the win2k system. you would need to change the IP of the WAP to 192.168.0.x. I would suggest 192.168.0.200 or so. then you can run the wireless zero configuration wizard on the winxp system.

for info on ICS, go here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

I would follow Midknyte advice.

However with some Hardware using the wireless zero configuration (WZC) wizard might be the reason that the Wireless would not work.

If your Wireless Hardware came with its own utilities it is much better off to use the utilities and switch off the WZC.

Link to: Wireless - Basic Configuration.

In addition make sure that your Windows Sharings are configured correctly.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

Originally posted by cat5e
    However with some Hardware using the wireless zero configuration (WZC) wizard might be the reason that the Wireless would not work.

If your Wireless Hardware came with its own utilities it is much better off to use the utilities and switch off the WZC.
    That's true. I've had issues with some 3Com wireless cards, where I've had to disable the WZC service.

I tried to use ICS, but couldn't get it to work. I used a program called proxy, and it works good now.
    When I tried to enable ICS on my pc nic, it would say the network was not attached.
    Thanks alot for your help.

Yeah some Wireless works with proxie and not working with ICS.

ICS has rigorous demands for the IP.

Some Entry Level Wireless hardware deviates slightly from the WIFI settings, and as a result ICS rebels.