Thread: dvd player, free software?

dvd player, free software?

Hello, I installed a dvd player in my computer, and I need the software so I can watch dvd movies. Anyone know of a good win XP compliant free software dvd viewer? Thanks

PS, I did do a search, I came up with a lot of dvd burner software, but all I want to do is watch.

You need to install a DVD program such as WinDVD or PowerDVD in order to watch movies.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Free player: http://download.com.com/3000-2139-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

I've gotten software DVD players at reasonable cost @ Computer Fairs.

Power DVD 4 $5+$6 shipping:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/utilityspecial.html
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

According to the reviews that client is full of spyware :S

you can also check out www.videolan.org. I use it to stream my TV to work, uses about 80K stream and pretty decent quality. You can also play without streaming at full quality right on your screen. It's not as easy as most players, but for the price it gets the job done
    Computers and the internet gave you your freedom, don't let TCPA take it away!
    notcpa.org
    againsttcpa.com

Just buy DVD software. All 'freeware' DVD software uses deCSS to decrypt the movie, which is illegal in the states. I would recommend PowerDVD; it's a great all around easy to use player, and avoids legal problems later on.

good luck
    [IMG]www.garbercentral.com/vadim/266.jpg[/IMG]

Power DVD is my favorite, however it has overlay problems with Radeon cards apparently Theater mode (where TV out video goes full screen even when only windowed on computer screen) doesn't work with PowerDVD, but it does with WinDVD.

Originally posted by Bullet-Man-2
    All 'freeware' DVD software uses deCSS to decrypt the movie, which is illegal in the states. I would recommend PowerDVD
    Translation: Yes, it's illegal to watch DVD's if you run linux. . . you must be a terrorist!!

I must be a terrorist. I watch movies I own on my computer with videoLAN (maybe it uses deCSS, I don't know), even though I own other players. I stream movies to work (even though it's just me watching them) because my job is to sit around and look pretty in CASE someone needs something, and there's no players on the work computers.

I record my music from iTunes/Napster to *unencrypted* MP3, even though I don't share them, just so I can listen to them in my truck withOUT buying a $300 iPod. I copy every CD I *legally* own to a virtual CD, just so I don't have to carry them all around with me travelling between school and home.

Sorry, this is not directed at you for that statement, because it is correct. I just think I should be able to watch my DVD's on my computer without having to have certain software on a WINDOWS machine.
    Last edited by Direct1; 05-09-2004 at 03:27 PM.
    Computers and the internet gave you your freedom, don't let TCPA take it away!
    notcpa.org
    againsttcpa.com

Try this site, http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ > tools section, u'll also find the codecs u need.

There's a registry hack to let WMP play DVD's but u'll need codec, find the registry hack here: http://www.mdgx.com/, just search XP tricks section.
    Last edited by Tweb; 05-09-2004 at 08:05 PM.

DVD playback software not bundled with a DVD ROM is EXPENSIVE! I think Power DVD 5 is like about $50!
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

Windows Media Player 9 does play DVD's

Use Windows Update or download

Media Player 9

WMP codecs