Thread: Can you hook up more than one DSL Modem?

Can you hook up more than one DSL Modem?

Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question but is it possible to hook up 2 DSL Modems on the same line?

The main reason is that I want to hook up a computer in my basement and cannot extend an ethernet from the 2nd floor. I also do not want to install a wlan for that PC.

TIA !

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Either of those two options are Wayyyyyyyy cheaper than paying for 2 DSL lines every month and two ISP accounts.

Buy a wireless LAN router and card for under $100.

Two DSL Modems on the same line would not work, and probably will make the ISP “Angry”.

May be this can Help.

Link to: Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing.

Link to: Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...?

Link to: DSL Routers and PPPOE.

Link to: Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router.

The only other way to do it without running CAT5 or wireless would be some kind of phoneline or powerline networking. neither of those has proved to be very reliable, so you're gonna take your chances. I really think you should just drop a CAT5 down there. it would be cheaper and easier than anything else.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. When I meant 2 DSL modems, I meant that I would have 1 Internet Account and log in from different modems (I have a chance to pick up a DSL modem used by my ISP cheap, while also using the rented one).

Okay, what make me a newbie on DSL modems is that since my ISP was able to allocate(allow) at least 2 IP address (something about a buffer in the DSLAM or something), then I'm thinking that I would be able to use different DSL modems to log on.

Before I had my router, I used a hub and loaded PPPOE program (or the provided Access Manager program) on each computer. I was able to simultaneously use a maximum of 2 different computers. I think this was not possible for Cable modem users since they were only allowed 1 IP address allocation.

Why would the ISP be angry? Does the DSLAM require the MAC address of the modem in order to function properly?

One more thing... my telephone system is wired with 6 wires. My plan A was to use the 4 wires and convert for ethernet. Obviously I'm worried about noise and the limitation of adding more phone lines but I'm desperate to have a wired connection for my basement.
    Last edited by Rickee; 05-03-2004 at 10:20 PM.

If you are considering using two modem on the same line but using them one at time (i.e. one Off the other On). In many cases it can be done.

However you can not use the two at the same time.

Originally posted by Rickee
    Why would the ISP be angry? Does the DSLAM require the MAC address of the modem in order to function properly?
    Your ISP might use MAC addressing to prevent unauthorized use. Roadrunner does that here.

If you could use multiple dsl modems, you would be getting bandwidth that you didn't pay for. There are dual WAN port routers on the market that could combine your DSL or Cable modems into one big pipe. Kinda like the old "shotgun" technology for dialup.