Thread: Can't play Madden 2004 anymore

Can't play Madden 2004 anymore

Hello there,

My friend has run into a problem. All of the sudden, out of the blue, he can't play Madden 2004 anymore.

In lieu of this, he has unistalled it several times and reinstalled it - full installation. Everytime he goes to play it, the little startup menu appears and when he clicks on PLAY, it goes away, (which is normal). However, the only thing that happens next is that a black screen flickers for a second and then goes away.

If he has the Task Manager open while he is doing this, "mainpapp.exe" will appear and then disapear when the screen flickers.

Any thoughts?

BTW, he has two CD-Rom drives and has tried putting the CD in both just to be safe.

His System:
    Windows XP Professional
    1.2 AMD Athlon
    256 SDRAM
    GeForce 400 MX (PCI)

Thanks!

This is one of those issues that could be almost anything.

basics: adaware, spybot, Virus Scan

weak power supply or power supply on the fritz.

vid card on the fritz, an MX 400 is weak IMO opinion for Madden but I realize you say it used to work no problem.

how are your cd drives...no prob with anything else? Is it having intermittent read problems....if so crack it so you dont need the cd to play. I assume this is a legal copy so hopefully I wont get banned for saying that.

How clean is the OS......Are there tons of items in startup?

Upgrading to 512 is a must for gaming IMO.

Who knows....tough call........I would format & reload b4 you replace any hardware.....I would target the power supply.

I too told him 512mb - especially PC133 SDRAM - it's almost nothing to do this.

Anyway, I have also been asking him if I could reformat his setup, (he has NO virus software or AdWare protection anyway). I don't see the big deal w/ putting all your data on a couple of CD-R's and redoing everything.

Like you said, it costs nothing but time and I am willing to do all of it - except the backing up.

Anyway, until then, I guess we will try and run Spybot and what not. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. Ideally, if it takes too much effort on his part, he'll just decide to reformat too!

Here's hoping.....

Thanks!

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, it's funny that you mention that about getting the crack because I just finished saying that too him. He said one time, while doing the install, he got a couple of Read Errors. Only once though out of the three to five times he has reinstalled it in the last week or so....still, I too think the crack would be atleast another unexplored option.
    Last edited by joeyroland; 05-01-2004 at 07:54 AM.

Restore before it started this..

Few days ago my computer just started to randomly jam while it was sleeping. I restored to when it was fine and know it hasn't jammed once.