Thread: Can arctic silver mess up after a month or so?

Can arctic silver mess up after a month or so?

ok hi,

I installed an XP2500 barton the other week, like 3 and a half weeks back, using arctic silver and a stock HS/F.

I don't know if I was a little too liberal with the AS, but it was as thin as I could get it using a credit card edge, it looked pretty cool. (no pun intended).

I clipped the heatsink on fine and checked everything a million times (not literally ) as this is the first CPU I've ever done, always been scared to!

Okay, but I did do something that I now know was a mistake... I initially tried to get the thermal pad off the HS with nail polish remover, but it wouldn't, so I gently "peeled" it off with a nice smooth slide of the credit card.

I rubbed some into the HS til it was a nice grey like their site said, and it all went together fine.

It ran at about 41 idle and 48 under load for the last 3 weeks, and that's o/c to 2.1ghz, no voltage changes of course.

then suddenly my PC started locking up one night, and I assumed it was down to my ram as it was pushed a little too far, and does lock up on occasion, but it was now crashing within seconds of starting a game/3dmark.

I'm now idling at about 47 - 50, and I dread to think what it is under load... I've set it all back to stock and kept my window open as my room gets hot.

What I need to know is, could I have applied the paste too much, or wrong or anything? It's strange that it suddenly dived up...

Sorry for such a long post for this, but the more detail the better!

cheers in advance for any help,
    too_much

*edit* I forgot to add, it's now taking about 25 seconds longer to boot, black screen between the "welcome" screen on XP, and getting into desktop.

Those temps are fine. AS doesn't "change" by itself, so that's not it.

Perhaps your overclocking itself is the issue. Maybe the memory can't handle the timings. Try boosting the voltages for both core and DIMMs a bit.
    MS MCP, MCSE

well the dimm is 1x512 crucial 333 running happily at 195 fsb, and up to now it's been ok, but yeah I think instability might be the issue.

Won't rasigin the core voltage increase the temperature tho?

A little, but that's not your problem.
    MS MCP, MCSE

aaah sorry, I get what you mean, I read the emphasis wrong, it's confusing on forums sometimes Cheers Bill, I'll go and try it =]

You didn't say what kind of HS ur using but if it's stock u could try lapping it, sanding it, put the HS in a vice, GENTLY an using something to protect it, get fine sand paper an a tool to hold the sand paper that's FLAT an do figure 8's on the HS till u see that u sanded the hole HS, clean it good, then remount it.
    I had an AMD 350 mhz computer with a stock HS / F an after sanding the HS lowered my temps by 3* C using old thermal grease.