Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: leaving PCs on all the time y/n?

I turn mine off... no point putting more strain on questionable power grid, especially with the summer months ahead. Sure, we may not save much off our individual utility bills... but i'm sure the impact on a larger scale would be positive.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    The only hard evidence was a long time ago parts working themselves out of slots with contraction, not the case anymore. Been shutting mine off over a decade with no problems ever starting up, what I don't care for is leaving them on while your using a cheap generic psu, saw mine smoking luckily I was home as sometimes I use to leave it on but thats asking for trouble with cheap parts.

Usually a business can leave it on cause theres somebody there 24/7 in case of emergency at home unattended who knows what will happen.

Mine is setup to hibernate in 10 min. after I turn off the connection manager. Don't like hearing the whine of the fan in the background when I'm not using it. Plus system reloads faster from hibernation.

At work at least 90% of the computers are left on continuously. There are programmed to defrag etc at midnight. Our office computers are left on in case we need to support a problem that can be done remotely from home hence they have to be turned on. Company works 24hours a day so it needs to have the systems running all the time......sales,despatch,etc. Hackers wouldn't have a chance of hitting the firewall servers (although you should never say never). Any remotely serious attack will text my mobile and others and it has never happened yet!

At home I shut my systems down at night.Although I know the most stressful time it powering up I'm not going to let them burn electricity and wear out components. Companies can afford to leave their systems on as they are 100% tax deductable after 3 years.

T

I sit in front of four of them right now. I turn them off when I'm not using them. When they used to be scattered all over my living room I let them run 24/7. Now that they all occupy one corner of my attic due to a remodeling project I shut them off because it actually makes my room uncomfortably warm after a couple days.

We shut off any computers that are not being used.

Disk/printer server left on 24/7.
    Monitor shut off.
    Other: as required.

Mine makes too much noise to sleep so I turn it off, I just click the ON switch in the morning. No harm done
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

I turn mine off at night. There's no reason to leave it/them on. It saves money on the electric bill and the computer does not have to work as hard. If you have a good hibernating mode set, that works almost just as well.

In the winter they help to heat my shop but I shut them off in the summer when I am trying to keep it cool. In summer I even toggle off the switch on the power supply in case of a lightning strike.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Heck with milk going to $4/gal here in ny you need to shut off something so you can afford to eat, christ.

Originally posted by rangeral
    Heck with milk going to $4/gal here in ny you need to shut off something so you can afford to eat, christ.
    Complain, complain....here in Colombia things are so poor we have beans for breakfast, water for lunch and we SWELL for supper
    If a mouse took a trip through my refrigerator, he'd come out with tears in his eyes.

I shut mine off for two reasons, lightning storms and the fact that EVERY mechanical device has a finite life, i.e. just so many hours of use built into the hardware.
    Last edited by Billforce; 05-01-2004 at 01:01 PM.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Ultimate Member
    Shut down if im going to be away for 30 minutes or more, though im nto paying the power bill, i dont see the need to waste other peoples money just so i can jump on the machine at any time (afterall, booting up only takes 15 seconds if not less)

--Jakk

I turn them off. It is hot here in Northern California. Running 6 computers with 400 ro 500 watt power supplies generates heat and uses electricity. The fans also suck in a lot of dust that use up expensive canned air. I should buy an air compressor to blow out my computers then i would loose all of my cables from the 100 psi air.

Just goto the toy store and buy a $20 electric air pump, the ones that pump of those pool floats, they work great and they dont blast your cables away.