Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: leaving PCs on all the time y/n?

Mines on all the time just about.

I turn mine off at night. IMO I think is helps the CPU and the computer last longer.

-BTY
    Dear Diary,
    Jackpot!
    -Quagmire

mine is on 24/7.......all others in the house get shut down, especially the laptop.

I just let mine go in to standby. takes about 5 seconds to bring them back up.

I think the longest i have ever had my on was two days. My parents got mad at me for that because they thought it would blow up. My computer boots up pretty fast so its not really a hassle turning it of and on.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Billforce its easier to stomach when your use to it though it still sounds bad down there but the inital hit always takes some getting use to.
    Last edited by rangeral; 05-02-2004 at 11:55 PM.

All powered down at night: boxes and monitors.

- Minimizes the heat load;
    - Minimizes power demand;
    - Minimizes noise levels;
    - Maximizes the life of components;
    - Minimizes the risk of catastrophic events (i.e.,fires or even smoke damage, or total system destruction during inclement weather);
    - Minimizes the risk of a security breach.

For those of you who keep your machines on, your local power company thanks you!

Originally posted by rusty4x4

For those of you who keep your machines on, your local power company thanks you!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh I think I can spare the chump change.

All powered down at night: boxes and monitors.

- Minimizes the heat load;
    - Minimizes power demand;
    - Minimizes noise levels;
    - Maximizes the life of components;
    - Minimizes the risk of catastrophic events (i.e.,fires or even smoke damage, or total system destruction during inclement weather);
    - Minimizes the risk of a security breach.

pc's don't use much power actually, I suppose it's slightly different if you had a server farm perhaps...

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    intimidator good maybe you can give me that chump change like five to 10 dollars/month that I can't afford so I can leave my machine on 24/7. Think about it next time you roll your eyes, $5 in some countries is a ransom that people need for more important things like food, medicine etc.

Ultimate Member
    PC's don't use that much power, but the do use more than some people think... For example, especially for the more robust PCs many of us have, its more than your average 60-75watt light bulb. In states where I live like CA, electricity is not cheap either and the cost could be $20+ a month especially if you're running any type of DC projects.

Why thank you, I like to do my part for the economy, I'm in the UK btw

$5 in some countries is a ransom that people need for more important things like food, medicine etc.

Cheap shot imo. And its too big and emotive a subject to say more about so that's all I'll say on it...ever.
    Last edited by barmyget; 05-03-2004 at 05:04 AM.
    Needs must when the devil vomits into your kettle.....

Ultimate Member
    I don't think rangeral was trying to cheapshot anyone. But more stressing a point in regards to intimidator's comment.

Chump change or not, i'd rather have it in my own pocket than the power company's. So with that, i'm gonna turn my computer off and go to bed

I guess, just reminded me of times when charities knock on the door or rattle tins at me, like I don't have the judgement or sense to know when and where to send my charity money.

I must have issues with pushy charity workers
    Needs must when the devil vomits into your kettle.....

I tend to leave mine on all the time. I worked from my home for about three years, and it got to be a habit then. Even though I now drive to my office, I still stay connected to my employer's network all the time because I'm an e-mail junkie and I get virtually all my e-mail through my employer's server.

Besides that, my CPU fan has bad bearings. If I shut the PC down, the fan growls like mad for some indeterminant amount of time after I power up. As long as the fan is quiet, I hate to turn it off. A lame excuse, I know, but true none the less.

I know I'm tempting fate in a BIG way by saying this, but that system has been running pretty much non-stop for more than three years. Watch, when I get home tonight, it will be frozen solid!

BTW, I have multiple systems. The ones I use for audio and video work are on only when I need them.