Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: leaving PCs on all the time y/n?

Originally posted by Johnny Fist
    Who keeps a PC for three years nowadays anyway?
    I wish I could say that... *sigh* my father replaces the comp when the old one busts or gets stolen... I'm lucky it got stolen only a year and a half ago...

Re: leaving PCs on all the time y/n?

Originally posted by c0r3file
    Do you guys leave your home PC's on all the time or shut them down at night / when at work? I tend to shut mine down unless I'm on a big download. It's probably better for the circuits to stay up all the time since most electronics fail on powerup. Shutting down may save some cash on your electric bill though.

What do you think?

--c0r3file--
    Most of my friends tend to leave their computers on all the time because they always download stuffs from the Internet. On the other hand, their harddisks tend to get faulty more easily.

For me, I tend to switch off my PC when I'm going to sleep at night. I don't dare to leave it on forever.

It's also another way to save on your electric bill.
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

I leave it on if I'm doing an overnight download, otherwise I shut it down at night or if I'm going to be away from it for more than an hour or so.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Yeah! That's quite normal!
    Give a man a fish
    It will feed him for a day
    Give a man a fishing rod
    It will feed him forever

I would shut mine off but it feels like I am pulling life support from a loved one when I do that.....makes me cry.

I have some downloads to be done, so mine is on until I go to bed (because it's in my bedroom) - otherwise, I shut it down if I'm not going to use it. But I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 unless it had some cooling...

Personally I leave mine on virtually all the time... It crashes from time to time as I'm experimenting with overclocking on various levels at the mo, but voluntarily I leave it on.

This may sound daft, but as my PC is in my room, I can't sleep soundly without the noise of the fans... I just feel better with the noise Also I have pretty huge downloads on the go overnight.

Oh, and my room has a lovely blue glow to it that way

too_much

Hey mine glows blue too are you my roommate??? Anyways see not only can our computers be tools but they can also sooth and calm you....almost like that cat I had but with far less sneezing and fur balls. Plus my PC never pisses on my hand when I read the newspaper....Guess I should have never lined the litter pan with newspaper so I guess it was my fault in the end.

Anyway please enjoy the humming of your fans tell you the truth I actually enjoy the humming of my fans and believe it or not mine glows blue also.

Pretty cool

Peace
    Stu

Originally posted by barmyget
    The opinion of a friend of mine is that knocking them off and on causes more component failure and power load stress at startup than leaving them on 24/7 . . . So please try not to post advising other people what to do unless you have certain proof of your statements
    I was wondering if perhaps it might be better to leave ALL of my electrical devices on to save wear on their respective components? I mean, if I left the TV on all the time, perhaps it would last for longer too. I'm going to tape up the on/off switch right now!

When any electrical device is running, it is consuming electricity. Electricity generally comes from burning oil, unless of course you happen to live in Sellafield (ouch). Burning oil is not a good thing.

And BTW, one support site (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000390.htm)concludes that "in terms of wear and tear . . . it is neither good nor bad to turn it off or to leave it on".
    Last edited by holoflux; 05-05-2004 at 11:10 AM.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Again even with home appliances such as a tv can burn out if you own a cheap brand due to cheap transformers, most of these you can lift with one finger on the other hand buy a quality brand and your lucky if you can lift it with 2 hands such as my hitachi which is 10yrs old and still playing like the first day I bought it.

A cheap home stereo can burn out exactly at the end of its 2yr warranty, same goes for what the desktop user gets, you want something that lasts research becomes all the more important as to whats in your case.

My three comps stay on 24/7. One runs RC5-72, The other two run Find-A-Drug / cancer.

Sure it costs money to run them, but this is my hobby, and what hobby doesn't cost some money?
    Lurkin in the shadows, learnin what I can.

Stealing

I doubt turning them on and off damages them, I've got a 12 year old 27" Fisher TV that still works great, still used as my main TV (oh yeah, except for that 10 year old macintosh with a TV tuner that has been turned on and off for all of it's life).

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    I usually turn mine off just for peace of mind since ive already had one comp blow up for unknown reasons (mobo,vid card,cpu were the only parts fried ... to my surprize the power supply wasnt dead too) but one time going through that whole process is enough for me

I turn my machines on in the morning when I get up and normally don't shut down til I go to bed ( or if there's a severe storm coming or I'll be away for days). I have the monitors set to shut down after a short time. I only turn on printers when I'm going to use them. I never shut down HDD's, as I feel it's harder to spin them up than just leaving them run, also, I don't like to wait for them to come up to speed.

I don't care too much about the electric bill and I run UPS and surge protection to prevent ( hopefully ) any damage from the dicey power around here.