Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: leaving PCs on all the time y/n?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by barmyget
    Why thank you, I like to do my part for the economy, I'm in the UK btw

That's the spirit!

Full disclosure: I work for a power company. And all that chump change keeps me employed - so THANK YOU!

when i am home during the day i leave my on sleep mode when i use it i wake up it only taking about 5 seonds or less, when i am at school all day i leave it off, when a come home i fire them up, then at night i turn them off

Originally posted by rangeral
    intimidator good maybe you can give me that chump change like five to 10 dollars/month that I can't afford so I can leave my machine on 24/7. Think about it next time you roll your eyes, $5 in some countries is a ransom that people need for more important things like food, medicine etc.

My post was merely in response to someone criticizing those of us who leave our PC's on all the time......nothing more nothing less.

It's everyones personal choice on how they choose to spend their money. My decision is all about convenience.

I bet if you thought real hard there are things you probably waste your money on that other people would think is ridiculous.

But to compare this to poverty in 3rd world countries is a little bit Coo-Koo.

Mine's been on.....since September when school started.....gotta keep the website running!
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Come on guys - turn them OFF! . . . unless you have a server I see no reason not to turn a machine off. You'll not only save money, but surely you will put less stress on your components and help to save the planet at the same time.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Yea well in this city when you use the word chump it has a derogatory meaning here I don't like seeing used on the boards, it holds people in contempt or a lesser view. Think your the only person that has used it, figures someone from ny would have to use it, huh. Nobody else I know uses it unless there saying something bad about someone.

Whats change to you means more to others which is a fact of life.

Originally posted by holoflux
    but surely you will put less stress on your components and help to save the planet at the same time.
    The opinion of a friend of mine is that knocking them off and on causes more component failure and power load stress at startup than leaving them on 24/7. Dunno if you've heard of Sellafield in Cumbria ,UK. Well he Supervises the maintenance of ALL (several thousand) pc's owned by BNFL and he knows waaaay more than I do so I follow his example.

He and I both know that this is not proven one way or the other but thats the instinct he has about it. So please try not to post advising other people what to do unless you have certain proof of your statements. Im not suggesting leaving your pc's on as I don't have proof, nor does my friend, this is just my opinion and why I do what I do.

Peace out friends
    Needs must when the devil vomits into your kettle.....

Sellafield. That's a famous (or infamous, however you want to view it) nuclear facility.

Yes, there's the cycling impact that has to be weighed against the integrated effect of components continuously at temperature. Bottom line: your mileage will vary folks.

Originally posted by rusty4x4
    Sellafield. That's a famous (or infamous, however you want to view it) nuclear facility.

Thats the one, we can fish in the dark round here i think it's run by the same MR M Burns that owns the one in Springfield.
    Needs must when the devil vomits into your kettle.....

Ok so I have seven machines...My web and exchange server stays on all the time my two gaming boxes get turned on and off at will (depends if me or my girlfriend are gaming) The laptops stay on or standby all the time and only get shut off for issues or installs and the one in the kitchen stays on.

I have reseached this topic for years now and I can not be convinced either way. The only thing I am sure of...if your machine is off it is much harder to hack it or to get a virus etc etc. But hey in this perfect world everyone does their updates and have virus scan loaded right? lol

Peace
    Stu
    Last edited by Stuart100; 05-04-2004 at 09:53 AM.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    barmyget servers are suppose to run in business or corporate or nuclear facility 24/7 so I wouldn't say thats a fair comparison besides the fact that there manned. Think its safe to say the maintenance group still has its work to do nevetheless. Especially if they used those 75gxp ibm's awhile back, though I've also heard that corporate gets a more reliable working hdd than the desktop user.

I trust the very old machines that are still working for that matter, they were given bigger capacitors or quality parts that kept them running, not so these days as in generic psu's that if your serious about your machine you would replace at the onset. I don't trust alot of todays parts for the desktop as some only last the year of the warranty and then fail.

Experience, and a small amount of electrical engineering knowlege, says that the constant on and off cycling (with its attendant power surges) will have an adverse effect on the expected longevity of the components involved.
    That said, I replace pretty much every thing in my computor at least every 3 years and havent had a power cycling related failure yet. I turn mine off when I'm done.
    Enjoy!

Who keeps a PC for three years nowadays anyway?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    My 8 boxes (4 of them dual 2.4+ AMDs, so really 12 processors) never turn off. I must keep the SETI WU's pumping out at the rate of almost 70 per day.

Originally posted by holoflux
    Come on guys - turn them OFF! . . . unless you have a server I see no reason not to turn a machine off. You'll not only save money, but surely you will put less stress on your components and help to save the planet at the same time.
    Unless you are contributing to the SETI@home project