Thread: Epox 8KHA question?

Epox 8KHA question?

Thought I would see if anyone else had ventured down this road before I try it.

I have a older Epox 8KHA (not the + version) and it lists the max supported cpu as a Palomino 1800+, but in checking the available listed multipliers in the bios, it shows the multiplier for the 2100+ (again supports only the Palomino).

Anyone ever try this "unsupported" combo?

Thanks in advance, David

You should probably write to Epox about this. They do answer.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    The motherboard fully supports Athlon XP-256 CPUs all the way up to the 266MHz FSB 2600+. Most of the higher-speed CPUs (1733MHz and up) will have their multiplier locked on this motherboard; those with 12.5x and below will be freely adjustable.

What are you upgrading from? The best choice remains the 2400+; the 2600+ in this FSB version is hard to find.

Update

Well, I did get a 2100+ Palomino, works great, now I wish I would have waited a bit longer to get more ideas from here, when I flashed the bios, I noticed that it now supported the model 8 cpu's, t-bred I beleive?

The multipliers that are shown are 13 (2100+) 14 and 15 (there are lower multi's of course, and the ever famous "auto" setting) which I think limits me to a max of 2400+ ? If I read the XP chart right, the 2600+ take a 16x multi at 266 fsb, which is not shown in my bios.

I am upgrading from a 1400 t-bird, the 2100+ has made a bit of a difference, but I imagine the 2400+ would even make more of a difference?

Thanks for the responses, it has helped a lot to try and get abit more speed out of this old computer.

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, go for the 2400+ if you can. It's a full 600MHz jump from the Tbird and has SSE instructions.

And yes, Model 8 is the Thoroughbred CPU.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...%25202400%252B