Thread: help with motherboard selection?

help with motherboard selection?

Hi, im trying to choose a good motherboard that is not too expensive like in the 150+ range. I'm going to need it to build a computer for my sister, so i narrow it down to these price range, give or take a few dollars. I'm using CAD, but i also converted to USD for you guys to look at.

ABIT NF7 nVIDIA nForce2 -----> $98 CAD / $72 USD
    ASUS A7N8X-X NVIDIA nForce2-400 -----> $90 CAD / $66 USD
    ASUS A7N8X NVIDIA nForce2 w/ audio -----> $111 CAD / $82 USD
    MSI K7N2-DELTA-L nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 -----> $98 CAD / $72 USD
    Epox 8RDA3+ nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP, FSB400MHz -----> $115 CAD / $85 USD

As you can see i prefer the nForce2 chipset and since i'm currently using the Abit NF7-S and i like this chipset and it's speed. But i'm having a hard time deciding which motherboard to purchase. I would like some overclockability and a good speedy and stable motherboard with good bios/drivers too. I hope i can have it all.

I'm more leaning towards the Epox even though it's a tad more expensive and i think they come with rounded IDE cables. The A7N8X and NF7 probably would be great too since i heard good things about them. The P4 MSI mb my cousin have seems to be a little trouble though. What do you guys think?

I'm going to install a Athlon XP 2000+ RETAIL BOX (Thoroughbred) so should i pair it up with 512 MB PC3200 RAM if i decide to overclock in the future? I heard the AMD 2000+ 1.67 Ghz doesn't overclock too well mostly to the 2GHz range?

I think this system is pretty powerfull for my sister, she mainly uses it for Adobe Photoshop, graphic stuff, surfing, winamp and other basics. But i'm going to cut down cost so there's no need to purchase any video card and speakers lol. I'll just use the old V3 2K with XP drivers found in the internet and old cheap speakers.

thanks.

I would go for the NF7 (-S if she doesn't have a good sound card now). Many members own them and I rarely see a trouble post here about them. That's all the testimony I need! The A7N8X fills the boards here. I don't trust them.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    I would go for the NF7 (-S if she doesn't have a good sound card now). Many members own them and I rarely see a trouble post here about them. That's all the testimony I need! The A7N8X fills the boards here. I don't trust them.
    thx for the reply.

The NF7-S i'm currently usings costs around $30-35 more without tax included yet. I'm not sure if it's better to invest more $$ in the NF7-S just for the soundstorm and SATA.

Yes she doesn't have a good sound card. I'm guessing the onboard sound from these MB will be sufficient enough with her old speakers.

Ultimate Member
    If there isnt a decent soundcard, then go for the NF7-S, for the money your getting a soundcard capable of matching the Soundblaster Audigy and a top notch motherboard thrown in more or less for free , great value bundle

--Jakk