Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building new computer suggestions.

Building new computer suggestions.

Hello, I'm trying to build a computer for my friend who wants to keep the total cost under 600 dollars and i was hoping that you guys could give me some suggestions. Well, the only thing he wants definate is for me to build it with a 3000+ 333fsb amd processor. Dont ask me, i dont know why he wants that processor, but that knocks out around 130 dollars, so i'm left with 470 dollars for a MB, heatsink, videocard, 60-80gb hd, case, ram, and a dvd rom. He wants something thats fast, so he can run some simulation **** he does for his job. Well anyway, Any suggestions would be appricated. Thanks

This was what I was leaning towards so far, but feel free to lead me in another direction.
    MB - gigabyte ga-7n400-l or msi k7n2 delta-l
    videocard- nvidia fx5200 or fx 5600
    ram- kingston 512mb pc-2700
    dvd- some generic brand
    hd- western digital 80gb
    heatsink- not sure yet, something under 30 dollars
    case- not sure yet.
    Last edited by Direct1; 04-25-2004 at 01:35 PM.

I would go with the MSI, buy a 2500+ and overclock it a little bit and then use the money you saved to buy him an FX 5700 or a 5900 which are much better video cards than the two listed. A 2500+ is pretty much guaranteed to run at 3200+ plus speeds with very mild tweaking and one can be had for around 95$ off of newegg.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Ultimate Member
    I would say go with a MOBILE 2500+ or 2600+

I had a regular Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ (2.2GHz) and just a couple days ago got a mobile 2600+. It overclocked to 2.4GHz at a much lower voltage than my non mobile needed for just 2.2GHz. It will EASILY outperform a 3000+ and its atleast $30 cheaper.

Out of those two boards, i'd go with the MSI only because i've got a lot of expierence with that particular board, and I've never used a gb board.

RAM is gonna hurt your budget becuase prices have gone up A LOT, and they're showing no signs of slowing either.
    Last edited by RamonGTP; 04-25-2004 at 06:19 AM.

What is the difference between mobile and non-mobile? and if i do get a 2600, what would i have to set the multiplier, fsb, and voltage to make it 3200 speeds? Also, what heatsink should i get that will make sure that the chip wont burn up?

Mobile is meant for laptops, but can be used in regular PCs. They run on a much lower voltage for heat concerns.

Originally posted by sm8000
    Mobile is meant for laptops, but can be used in regular PCs. They run on a much lower voltage for heat concerns.
    interesting.. so you dont need a laptop using these mobile CPUs?

I'm guessing mobile CPUs doesn't provide a HS and fan along with it? Is the performance the same between the mobile and the desktop ones? Also are they unlocked? The 2500+ is locked now right and just the multiplier isnt?

Ultimate Member
    They do perform the same at the same clock levels. Current non-mobile bartons are multiplier locked. The only way to overclock them is by raising the FSB. The multi on the mobile is unlocked up to 12.5x

Banned
    Thank god for AMD Mobile it allows AMD users to get even closer to Intel speeds - very close. Not bad for K7.

Thats just stupid.....Man If the mobile CPU performs the same as a regular barton at the same clock speed why dosen't amd just dump the bartons that run at a higher voltage and call the Mobil CPU something different and use it in everything....

Banned
    well OEM PC makers still need the retail barton, and they still do ok in the market, and .. not everyone want to overclock, and many don;t have the ability to clock with limites bioses, like KM266/400, and other boards that dont allow it (mostly because they are alos used in low cost build like eMachines and similar machines).

Re: Building new computer suggestions.

Originally posted by tuppuguy
    heatsink- not sure yet, something under 30 dollars
    case- not sure yet.
    heatsink - Get the one that comes with the CPU
    case - One the motherboard fits on

You can't be too picky when you're on a budget

I'm using the Thermaltake silent boost which you can get at Newegg for 29.99 keeps my CPU in the mid 40s even under intense 3d loading.

Newegg has the volcano 9 for 22.05 which is comparable but noisier.

Ok. Thanks for all your help guys. This is what i ordered and built. It was alittle over 600. $613 to be exact.

mb - k7n2-delta-l
    ram - mushkin 512 pc3200 green
    video card - gigabyte 9600xt . ( i should of gotten the sapphire, but oh well :T )
    cpu - mobile 2500+
    hsf - volcano 12+
    case - some case. - 40 dollars'
    hd - western digital special edition 80gb
    dvd rom - toshiba dvd rom

I installed everything, and it runs great. Oced it to 2.2ghz and it idles around 43-44C and after running 3dmark2001, i scored 14 thousand something. I checked my temp right after and it was 46C. So seems like everything worked out great. Thanks again

Originally posted by Benssax
    Thats just stupid.....Man If the mobile CPU performs the same as a regular barton at the same clock speed why dosen't amd just dump the bartons that run at a higher voltage and call the Mobil CPU something different and use it in everything....

Has to do with a laptop being able to clock up or clock down to save the battery, and...a laptop using less voltage to save the battery as well.

A mobile is the identical chip to the barton...with the exception of it will run perfectly stable at 1.45 volts. Those that don't pass that, and need to be run @ 1.65 volts, are Bartons.

Since the mobile version ramps the clock up and down...it can't lock the multiplier...

The reason AMD locked the multi on the Bartons was too many resellers were selling them in PCs as 3200...because, they did...in fact, OC just fine...
    I got an older one...and can attest to that.

not saying it's right...just saying it's so...Bsax!

Hope you didn't cheap out too much on the power supply.