Thread: Looking for cheap RAM

Looking for cheap RAM

What is the cheapest(but still good) 256MB stick of RAM that I can buy to use on this mother board?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-438&depa=0

I will build a computer for this guy and he is REALLY cheap and he thinks that the memory I suggested is too expensive (maybe it is?)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-025&depa=0

Thanks!

Tell him he's an idiot and if he knows so much to build it himself. RAM is not an item to skimp on.

Crucial 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM = $61 USD shipped.

Good luck!

I know memory is not an item to skimp on, so is the power supply. He also wants a cheap power supply. I told him that I won't build the computer anymore if he doesn't let ME choose the parts!

I told him that I won't build the computer anymore if he doesn't let ME choose the parts!
    That's what I do. I hate people that don't know something and then don't take your advice when you give it to them.

Good luck!

If people want to skimp, either don't build it or don't take responsibility! Generic RAM can work. So can generic power supplies.
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

Originally posted by RayH
    If people want to skimp, either don't build it or don't take responsibility! Generic RAM can work. So can generic power supplies.
    Yep, it's entirely possible to go with cheaper RAM or PSU and have it work - it just depends on what kind of product you're willing to put out there with your name on it. Chances are, even if you don't take the responsibility that customer will probably hold you to it one way or another.

I've dealt with people like this before. Just put together the quote, if he doesn't like the pricing just explain that you only sell quality parts - this benefits both of you in the long run. If he doesn't like that, consider passing on his business.

IMO - you're not going to find a 256MB PC3200 DIMM much cheaper then $55. I've used Kingmax DIMM's on occassion and they've worked fine... price is the same. As Direct1 posted, it's only another $6 for Crucial - why skimp.

Yep...I agree...Nothing.

PSU and RAM are nothing to skimp on...but, everyone's gotta make a buck.

So...either you warranty the system as normal with RAM and PSU you suggest...or, build it to his budget and don't warranty it.

I wouldn't cheat myself out of wages because they are too cheap to follow a professional's advice.

Oh...and put it in writing.

RAM...is very pricey now a days, I'd say it's gone up about 25% or so in the last few months. The RAM I bought from Crucial last year was 93.00 shipped, now...it's about 130 shipped.

A good Fortron PSU is only about 35 bucks or so, I'd feel very comfortable using that!!

Good luck!!

Likewise met customers like this.

Possibly THE most critical part of any system is the memory that is why I ONLY buy Crucial memory. Heard good things about the value corsairs but I'm not sure but I think Crucial is compatible with most motherboards,bioses etc.

He wants cheap then he'll regret it... Build it and give him a 30 SECOND warranty instead of 30 days and then you'll have no comeback ;-)

This sounds like customers I've had that never frigging leave you alone.... always coming to you will some trivial problem..also they are the bl--dy people who fiddle with the system as well then bug you even more.... Just a tip with whatever you build , password lock the bios and do not tell him it.

It's not only these type of people that bug you. When I worked in London, (in City) you would not believe how thick my so called boss was. He used to bother me with some minor cr@p every day...like ..how to I center align my word document!!!!...unreal.... If it wasn't the fact he was my boss I'd have told him to read the bl-dy help file/manual.

In my opinion there are farrrrr too many people out there with a little knowledge and are far too dangerous...not to anyone else but themselves as I felt like smacking some days.....

If it was me I'd say I'd build it to a 'proper' standard or not at all.

T

Thank you guys. Very nice suggestions!

oh boy. you guys are gonna kill me, but I bought 2 sticks of Samsung 256mb DDR PC 3200 about 3 months ago at Computer Builders Warehouse (retail store) for $50 a stick! Man I got a deal there! And it works great!

Any one know cheap places to Find Rambus Pc-800 for my dell dimension 8200 P4

Cheeseman, please start your own thread from now on...

Look here...

http://www.11cb.com/cgi-bin/miva?Mer...ode=mrambus800
    512MB (2x256) = $184 USD shipped.

or

http://www.upgradenation.com/sam101gig80n.html
    1024MB (2x512) = $485 USD shipped.

Good luck!

Looking for cheap RAM = Looking for trouble
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900