Thread: I know what I want and need......

I know what I want and need......

I don't need technical choices, what is your preference in a manufacturer. ABIT, ASUS, DFI, FOXCONN, GIGabyte, Epox, Intel, MSI, SuperMicro, Etc... I am building my Nephew a PC, I am using some hand me down parts, (i.e.: AMD Duron 650Mhz. @933Mhz.) upgrading parts as he goes along. I upgraded to an Athlon XP, This is my old overclocked chip. I use an Epox but only access is online and that's a problem. Brick and Mortar stores for me.

Ultimate Member
    Welcome!

If you want to buy from an actual store near you, your first step is to check out what your local stores carry, and THEN have us comment.

Ultimate Member
    Generally Abit, MSI, Epox and Asus (though tech support is rather poor), though as Peter says, its a good idea to know whats availiable to start with.

--Jakk

Revised

I need to read my writing before I send. My literary skills need improvement, sorry. All the brands I mentioned except Epox is availible locally and one store. What I want is a good foundation to build on; he (Nephew) is getting my used parts to run for awhile. I am putting my old Duron 650 overclocking to 933 and a stick of 256 DDR, I am leaning towards an MSI KT4AV-L KT400 Motherboard for example. When has saved some more money, I will bump him up to an Athlon XP 2200+ for example. I read a lot of reviews and curious what brand you have been satisfied with. I bought my computer through the Recycler Classifieds for $250, Epox 8kha, AMD Duron 650@933, and 256 PNY PC2100 DDR and 300W generic case. It is now an Athlon XP 1800+, CDRW, DVDROM, 512 DDR, 350W Foxconn case and a hell of a lot quieter! LOL! I am now saving for my dream machine. This is the route I am taking with him. Can you tell I am bored and rambling on with way to much info? I read posts that ask people to pretty much design a system on paper and not working for the knowledge and pride you from building your own. I started on a $5.00 Pentium Pro garage sale pc, this is my second. Thanxs in advance. My niece did not trust me and Bought a Sony Vaio Desktop P4, 512 Ram, 120HDD, etc. $1300 and one week later Cryin about support, issues and cable company! I aint even toching the mouse! My first pc was the same only P3 450, almost went off my balcony at one point! And I did say I told you so stupid! I feel better now, done!

Asus and MSI IMO are the best mobos. MSI's are really rock solid and stable, but in my experience GENERALLY not as good at oc'ing as the Asus. They tend to limit your selections a little bit in the bios. My experience with MSI's tech support was not that good, but so far I have only had to RMA one board, which they did replace promptly after going through a bit of a trod to get there.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

We use 7 epox 8rda+'s in our computer room and love them. My uncle bought an asus a7n8x-e and it gave him a load of problems but that was probably a flook. He now has an abit nf7 and it is working much better. I have not used msi so cannot comment on them.
    Christopher