Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Ge Force 6800 Ultra

Sadly Dozer, that doesn't answer the question.

However, it's obvious to me that for you at least the level of technology doesn't matter, since from the sounds of things you'd be buying Nvidia even if ATI had SM4.0

I guess it means the true answer to why SM3.0 is so important is because Nvidia says so and there's no point to any discussion since the mighty "Nv" is and must always be right.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Banned
    and i guess, because most game maker will go with Nvidia over ATI...

Ok! OK!..stop all this bickering ..its fine for people to like what they lean towards....if it makes them happy...we do not all have the same level of tech. knowledge ..nor does it matter to the average buyer....only those who keep track of things

When I bought my current card ..which is a FX 5900 ..I knew less then ,then i do now..andif given the price and choice I might have purchased a ATI card ..esp. the 9800 Pro model...

Rugor..I like your more in depth expertise on the facts as they are needed to know...in making a choice or for just being welll informed....
    I tend to think more like Vanpiel though, as some of this is more added hype and garbage ..and i would base my decision on more general stuff ..like performance and graphics....

They can post two or three pictures side by side and my thinking is that they are all good and what is the real difference anyway...some detail being a tinge better in quality? Who cares?

And,this comes from myself as a very technical minded person...who has the sense to be grounded in all this debate.

I would tend to base my decisions upon reviews from ordinary users .as well as from the experts..and leave the other tech. things for them to dance around with....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Personally, I think the best thing to do is wait three months after both the 6800 and the X800 XT are both out, and then decide.

I think it's too early to do anything else.

That's why I'm not so concerned about SM3.0. It's too early to tell yet.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Originally posted by Rugor
    However what I don't know is if it makes that big a difference right now.
    Well that's the $500 question now isnt it? The fact is the differences between the 2 cards are so small right now, that if I spend that much money on a card, I would want sm 3 support b/c im going to be playing games that support it on the card cause im not going to throw it away 6 months from now. Seeing as to how the other differences are so minor. Thats all im trying to say.

Show me an sm2.0 picture that looks as good as the ut3 pic's. Im sure if epic released pics with there ut3 engine using sm2.0 then we would see a clear difference.
    Last edited by Vampiel; 05-29-2004 at 01:09 AM.

Originally posted by Rugor
    Personally, I think the best thing to do is wait three months after both the 6800 and the X800 XT are both out, and then decide.
    I agree.

Vamp you can't be sure it'll have the horsepower to run PS3.0 well though!
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Yes I can, epic said it ran ut3 with at a good frame rate with the 6800u, im sure it was prob. using an athlon64 of some sort as well. http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0511025101.htm
    Both nVidia and Epic are claiming that the Unreal Engine 3, which can realistically portray subtle lighting and shadows as well as realistic textures, will set a new standard for gaming graphics.
    Plus the x800 has about the same FPS so why even argue that point?
    Last edited by Vampiel; 05-29-2004 at 11:03 AM.

I still find it hard to believe that you'll spend as much for a video card as almost a whole system would cost....

Aren't these cards out right now??
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Banned
    because if you want the newest technology. you must pay the price for it.

and i don't have a problem paying $500 for a video card that will work with the comming soon games, for the next couple of years.

i would not pay $500 for last year technology though...

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Vampiel
    Yes I can, epic said it ran ut3 with at a good frame rate with the 6800u, im sure it was prob. using an athlon64 of some sort as well. http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0511025101.htm

Plus the x800 has about the same FPS so why even argue that point?
    Unreal 3 ran at E3 on an FX6800U correct, at a good fram rate? Incorrect. 5-10FPS @ 640x480 was the reported speed. Far from playable i think you'll agree. Quite simply, by the tiem U3 arives, the FX6800U and the X800 will both be middle of the road, low end/mid range cards.

(There are also rumors flying around that Epic have shown of U3 running on the X800 in their offices and its actually quicker than the 6800U, though im not sure the people making such comments are entirely trust-worthy)

--Jakk

Originally posted by DozerLYP
    because if you want the newest technology. you must pay the price for it.

and i don't have a problem paying $500 for a video card that will work with the comming soon games, for the next couple of years.

i would not pay $500 for last year technology though...
    If last year's technology is just now being barely tapped into, why not? Especially if it's faster?

Oh, and, this might clear up some questions for you Dozer:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA5
    Last edited by jamil5454; 05-29-2004 at 07:48 PM.
    SUPER COMPUTER

palomino 1800+
    ECS K7VMM+ (VIA KM266)
    Hercules fortissimo 7.1
    Maxtor 60gig 7200 2mb
    bfg asylum g4mx440-SE @ 340, 410
    crappy 17" monitor (1280x1024)

Banned
    ok that look verry good. but then again, Nvidia was showing screanshot from the "demo" and ATI was using the actual game with a patch. witch i'm prety sure as a lot to do with image quality...

if you want to show me some thing to make me think ATI card is much better. at least use the same thing Nvidia was using for there sceanshot. not a better version of the game...
    Last edited by DozerLYP; 05-29-2004 at 10:11 PM.

Originally posted by DozerLYP
    ok that look verry good. but then again, Nvidia was showing screanshot from the "demo" and ATI was using the actual game with a patch. witch i'm prety sure as a lot to do with image quality...

if you want to show me some thing to make me think ATI card is much better. at least use the same thing Nvidia was using for there sceanshot. not a better version of the game...
    I believe that "demo" is a demo of the Far Cry engine using SM3.0. It's not the downloadable demo of Far Cry. It's a tech demo. In other words, the ATi shots are from the actual game while the nvidia shots are from a tech demo that's actually newer than Far Cry.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    (There are also rumors flying around that Epic have shown of U3 running on the X800 in their offices and its actually quicker than the 6800U, though im not sure the people making such comments are entirely trust-worthy)

--Jakk
    I would like to see some screen shots of that if it's true. So I can compare the sm2 to sm3.