Thread: Email Virus

Email Virus

Recently, I have been targeted and received more than 20 emails containing virus. These all happen after I display my emial in a forum.
    Is there any way, I can get rid of it. I just cant use the email now, everytime I open my outlook and received the emails, the norton trap the virus, but the thing is there are too many, it becomes very troublesome.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Change your email address and get smarter.

One day a couple of years ago I checked my servers web mail page and low and behold, in the Options I found a manual filter page. I can' do all sorts of things with these filters.

If: Subject line contains......................................
    If: To: line contains......................................
    If: Cc: line contains......................................
    If: From line contains.......................................
    If: Sender line contains......................................
    If: Reply to contains.....................................
    If: Received line contains.......................................
    etc...............................

I can send it to a specified folder, address, reply with a message, reject, etc....

Everyone should check to see if their mail host has something similar.

Cheers!

You could one better...if your webmail doesn't do this.
    Outlook has several options for rule messages...

On the good point, jc...I'll give you credit.
    These forums are full of folks who simply don't have AV protection, or don't keep it updated.

So...kudos to that.

But...as mentioned, don't ever display your email to any public forums. Spiders are rampant looking for email addresses to send their **** too.

It seems the expanding and popularity of broadband only mulitplies this indefinately.

I'm not getting viruses...but, I do get a ton of spam. I've already created a second comcast.net account for me...and will work on transitioning it over for a few months or so...to attempt to lessen the spam.

Good luck!

Viruses do not just scan contact lists for e-mail addresses. They also scan Temporary Internet files. That means that anyone who cruises the forums without AV protection has a semi-permanent record of your e-mail address in their cache.

A trojan may then upload your e-mail address to a hijacked server and add your e-mail address to a database. Once that happens, you will be getting more spam too because some virus distributers are spammers looking for suckers.

NEVER display your e-mail address in a web page. There's no need to. We have private messaging, protected e-mail links and answer notification. Adding your e-mail address is just "gilding the lily" anyway.
    MS MCP, MCSE