Thread: WinXP start up services

WinXP start up services

Looking at the msconfig I would like to edit some services that are starting up with the comp. How do I do that? Im looking for the path to the regedit. thanx

check this out first...

start -> settings -> control panel -> administrative tools -> services

there you'll have a list of everything running on your computer, and if you find something you don't want running, right click on it, select properties, and then change "startup type" from either automatic or manual, to disabled.

Hope this helps

Just unclick what you do not want to start.

Check them here before you unclick anything though.

be careful what you unclick though...

If you unclick things relating to display control panels, keyboards, or mice, you may find that some of the extra features your hardware had aren't working anymore...if you run into a problem, just go back and re-check them...for that reason i recommend you unclick only one thing at a time. Then if something goes wrong, you know which one it was.

If after taking particular attention to the list of services and how they should be configured it is also possible to alter the services of applications too.

For example, DK under W2K (for boot-time defrag) can go to manual but O&O Defrag Pro V6.0.701 requires that its service be to set to automatic. AV (online protection) and firewall program services need to be set to automatic.

Services.msc is a very handy way of shutting down troublesome start-ups and troubleshooting in general for misbehaving programs etc.

MJC was closer along the lines of what Im looking for. I know I can edit the start up some how in reg edit and thats what im looking for.

First tell us what you wan to edit - Services or Startup? MSCONFIG is best for Startup. Administrative Tools > Services is best for Services.

Later, you can trim disabled items in Regedit. Just search for 'startupreg' in the Regedit to find the disabled items.

As stated - be careful. Uncheck the wrong item and you will be reinstalling Windows.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mento...p/PENINDEX.HTM
    MS MCP, MCSE

Here you go:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

Since you are running WinXP, you could create a safety net. Make a system restore point before you begin.

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create restore point.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Beemer; 08-21-2004 at 03:15 PM.