Thread: Windows 98 and PCMCIA slots

Windows 98 and PCMCIA slots

Hi,
    I had a Windows 98 machine recently that wouldnt boot up - it was sticking on the boot screen.
    I managed to get into the machine in safe mode and disabled most of the devices until the laptop started without any problems.
    I then re-enable each device until I came to the PC Card bus and the Xircom card installed.

When I re-enabled the card bus it seemed ok but now it will not recognise the Xircom card even with all the correct drivers installed.
    If I eject the card and re-insert it, it says that there is no memory area available to communicate with the card - so it cannot identify or install the card.

I've searched high and low on the internet and no-one has seemed to find an answer when other people have had the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    take a look at some real hardware mods:

www.condoms.co.uk

Well, Intel bought up Xircom and there is no support for that card anymore. It's probably time to lay it to rest and pony up for a new one.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Lots of stuff as Microsoft Knowledgebase on PCMCIA and cardbus issues - enabling, ID'ing, etc. You might want to read there and see if anything helps. Otherwise, what Bill says sounds good.

Ultimate Member
    For CardBus controllers to work, Windows 98 needs to be running in ACPI-enabled mode. How far do you get? Controller properly enabled? Card detected on insertion?

And besides, there still are all drivers for Xircom gear on the Intel web site.

Right, managed to get into the PC in safe mode and found that PCMCIA Card services under device manager was disabled.
    Enabled the device, restarted the PC and it picked the card up fine and let me install the drivers.

Not something I've ever come across before.
    take a look at some real hardware mods:

www.condoms.co.uk