Norton NAV
    PestPatrol
    Spybot
    AdAware
    AVG
    SpySweeper
    AntVir

Think that's overkill??? Get this:

I use Google and noticed how slow it became. Also the first 6-9 hits on the top of each page was an ad customized to my search.

I got fed up with all the ads so I wrote a letter to Google. They responded in 6 hours. They stated they did not incorporate any ads as I described. They had seen this before and it was due to a virus hijacker that was directing all my search inquiries to their bogus remote servers and returning customized searches promoting their clients.

I did a search for "planet Krypton" on Google and the first number of hits on each page were companies shouting that they had the "planet Krypton" in stock at the best prices on the net!!!!

This is total bull**** my friends. This is PROOF my machine is infected in spite of spending bux on anti virus scanners. They all failed to find this and possibly other infections screwing up my machine (and yours too!).

How do I find these wiley last viruses??? My machine is a slowpoke due to all the extra misdirection of these hijackers.
    Help!!!!

I just used Process Explorer (like Task Mngr process tracker) and I began suspending anything that did not have an absolute imperative to operate the computer.

I shut down a bunch of Creative stuff, Real Networks stuff, and one particular item I never saw before: Grisoft Software. Ugh!

I then went back and fired up Google for a search. Right on! It was back to its usual red hot self with NO ADS! One of the programs I suspended (most likely Grisoft: avgserv.exe) is the culprit for taking control of my browser.

Why can't the spyware programs see this hijacker? Is it that good at disguising itself???????

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You may have 7 virus/spyware programs running, but it begs to ask the simple question:

Do you religiously update each program every day and do you then do a full drive scan using each program?

Yo!
    Not only do I update EVERY DAY but run them all in the AM and the PM.
    Also, I don't visit any 'nasty' sites and I still got nailed.

I am very serious about my question to the group. We are all vulnerable with these viruses and hijackers at bay.

The spyware programs are clearly not able to handle the level of attacks being waged and we are all at risk.

One virus last week actually took control of my Nortons NAV and firewall and deactivated it. It also took my administrative access away! I could not reactivate the programs! That is a VERY serious breach. Note: Symantec did not even reply to my email concerning this event.

Are you the only one using this computer?
    Charlie

My son visited about 3-4 weeks ago and he goes to all kinds of music and teen sights. That is where I think the machine got nailed. However, this could have been picked up at any number of standard places that I frequent as well.

Aapparently no one can underestimate the cunning, guile and brass of these latest generation of advertising software engineers. They clearly have NO scruples, no ethics. Anything and everyone is game in their book. I also feel that this is only the beginning. Only when their are federal or international laws with real teeth will this scourge be removed.

No, I am not overstating this. I just burned up a good 20-25 hours working on this problem. Multiply that by how many other victims are out there in the cyber ether. My friend, this is serious time and expense to all of us, big time!

I know, that is why I can so easily keep my job and my company is getting all of these new contracts for computer support.

Gotta love them virii....

P.S.: I rarely, if ever get hit by a virus. I check my email without a preview pane open, I delete email from unknown senders, I delete ALL emails with attachments weither I know the person or not, and I only run one AV scanner (Norton 8.1 Corp.).

MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by skytop
    II shut down a bunch of Creative stuff, Real Networks stuff, and one particular item I never saw before: Grisoft Software. Ugh!

One of the programs I suspended (most likely Grisoft: avgserv.exe) is the culprit for taking control of my browser.
    Grisoft is the maker of AVG antivirus, that is definitely not the culprit.

Disabling your AV software didn't help matters.

The next time that you want to disable something, try finding a README in the folder where it is installed. That will help you identify it. Otherwise, you may disable Windows next.

Since you've obviously mangled your setup, you should really reinstall Windows.
    MS MCP, MCSE

dont know if this was mentiond..try www.trojanscan.com

Sterling:
    You've too myopic about infection scenarios.
    There are so many other ways to pick up a virus besides an email attachment.
    I spoke to my son last night and he told me he had visited Kaza music site. This is a known infection site since it is a magnet to virus proliferators due to the massive visitors there.
    But you're right about employment opportunities for spyware software engineers.

Unfortunately or Fortunely..depending ...viruses only corrupt when opened into your system...that is why all the talk about opening before scanning..
    My Virus tool has a setup in the right click menu to scan before opening.... This cannot always be avoided i know..as I too am at fault sometimes with the itchy trigger finger...
    Viruses can also be obtained through the loading of programs off of disks opened in the CD-R, yours or others maybe...

Those people should be shot..I agree..or at leaast punished severely...just an ongoing problem we all have..
    Updating your virus software is a must.... and periodic scanning of your drives is warranted also...
    A good virus program will be a ble to fix it or delete the infected files as an option....
    The whole industry is on top of this constantly..so at least something is being done.
    Bill is probably right about a need to do a re-install ( clean install best! ) ,a once they infected everything , they probably cannot be fixed and it would be necessary to do this.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Originally posted by skytop
    Sterling:
    You've too myopic about infection scenarios.
    There are so many other ways to pick up a virus besides an email attachment.
    I spoke to my son last night and he told me he had visited Kaza music site. This is a known infection site since it is a magnet to virus proliferators due to the massive visitors there.
    But you're right about employment opportunities for spyware software engineers.

Hmmm, this is why I BANNED my kids from going to Kazaa and all of the other P2P file sharing programs.

If they infect their systems after I told them not to do something, then they wait a week before I fix it.

Is your NAV stand-alone or part of SystemWorks? Do you have GoBack installed? And, if so, was it installed before your son's visit?

John B.