Thread: WAN connection ??

WAN connection ??

hi guys,

I have one switch 100mbps with 20 users connected.
    due to expansion, our remote factory has 2 users that needs to be connected via Dail-up. what should I buy? Access builder or Router??

Server OS is NT 4.0

appreciate your valuable info.

regards, HP

If its only dialup why not just use RRAS in NT4?

By dialup you mean modem?

For just 2 users I would examine the cost implications of a hardwired link more carefully and also ascertain exactly what speed requirements they need (ie what sort of access do they need to the network - internet , database , file & print???)
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

re

thanks for your reply.

2 users using modem. 36 - 56K speed is just fine for the time being.

users will access internal email, Print reports and Access to database SQL.

Awaiting for your reply.

Regards, henry

Just setup rras on the server - buy a modem or two if you need concurrent connections! Just make sure both serial ports are free or get internal modems! I do prefer external modems mind you!

Be aware RRAS on NTV4 can be a bit finicky to get working especially if you want network browsing and full functionality but you dont really need to splash out lots of cash on a small problem like this!

There are quite a few solutions - it really depends on your user requirements! bandwidth - SQL can hog bandwidth if not configured correctly over dialup but it sounds like dialup would fit your needs and keep the cost down!

If money is no object Id setup a broadband internet connection for the two users to share and setup a VPN connection to the server as well but thats overkill unless you want to splash the cash and impress the boss!

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/nt4ras.htm
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

RE

thanks for your valuable info.

one more thing, do I have to install modems on both remote 2 computers or just one. could the 2 remote computers connect to the NT server at the same time?

awaiting for your helpful answer.

Regards,

yes you will have to install on both machines!

yes both machines will be able to connect to the server at the same time if you have the same number of modems on the server!