Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League Discussion

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar

UEFA Champions League Discussion

Real Madrid gave Bayern Munich the boot, which really wasn't a huge surprise seeing that Real is a top notch team.
    ManUtd is gone early thanks to Porto. That was a bummer for me as I am a ManU fan.
    Looks like Arsenal is kicking booty all over the world this year, not only in the Premeirship.
    It oughta be interesting to see how the rest plays out.
    Anyone know when the next leg starts?
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

The 1/4 finals'll be in a couple of weeks. I wuldn't back against the winners of the Milan Deportivo game winning the tournament though.

Ultimate Member
    For me Arsenal still lack the defensive depth (as do Man Utd, just on a much bigger scale) to be rightly considered world class, and i dont think Chel-Ski have bonded yet as a side in the way that two or three seasons together gives a team (jus lookit Arsenal for an example of what holding a team together for a while will do)

I dotn see Monaco or Lyon having much of a chance of goign through, and ultimatley see it as an AC (even though they arent as good as they used to be) and Real final.

That said, i still thing Porto are one of the most underrated teams in Europe simply because they come from Portugal (where the only other decent side is Benfica, who have fallen from grace recently), and for years ive been wanting them to give one of the top teams a good caneing

--Jakk

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    It's gonna be exciting to follow. I would love to see Arsenal win it, only because with a name like "Arsenal" you oughta be kicking some serious booty!

However, Real is super tough and is a team full of starts. AC is kicking, like usual. Didn't they win it last year?

Can someone list all the teams still in it? I can't seem to find it on ESPN.com
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

Ultimate Member
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl...lts/index.html

Real are defnsively weak but going forward, second to none. AC have looked decidedly dodgy in recent years in Seria A from what ive heard in comparison to their glory days and from what little ive seen Shevchenko doesnt seem to be his former self

--Jakk

Real Madrid got Beckham, and that should be good enough to toast the rest.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Ultimate Member
    The only English player more overrated than David Beckham is Wayne Rooney, both of them are one trick pony's

--Jakk

ROTFLMAO!!!!! sure is some trick,LOL.

Ultimate Member
    If he was playig in the 70's (when every winger could cross a ball and was expected to be a good shot from deadball's) Beckham would be no big name. However with the development of 'down the middle' football in europe and the lost art of crossing, Beckham is held up as something he isnt, the complete footballer, for evidence of that just look at the lacking (though markedly improved since WC98) defensive play

--Jakk

who crossed the ball to put BM out and since when were wingers defensive players?

and the big difference between beckham and the seventies players,

he isn't in the papers every week for being paralletic

or for screwin the mates/managers/ wife

or for steriods/dope

or wasting the talent so many do not have

Georgie Best, the best the world has ever seen, ever seen steaming drunk.LOL.

beckham sticks by his wife and family, keeps his act clean and the english press hate him. Too boring, wouldn't they love it if he stumbles and falls.

But fairs fair, who is better than beckham that is not in the Real Madrid team.?

Answer. No one.

Oh yeah, and why did Man U do so bad this time round? they lost their midfield general. But he'll probably be playing for Chelsea next season.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Ammok
    who crossed the ball to put BM out and since when were wingers defensive players?

and the big difference between beckham and the seventies players,

he isn't in the papers every week for being paralletic

or for screwin the mates/managers/ wife

or for steriods/dope

or wasting the talent so many do not have

Georgie Best, the best the world has ever seen, ever seen steaming drunk.LOL.

beckham sticks by his wife and family, keeps his act clean and the english press hate him. Too boring, wouldn't they love it if he stumbles and falls.

But fairs fair, who is better than beckham that is not in the Real Madrid team.?

Answer. No one.

Oh yeah, and why did Man U do so bad this time round? they lost their midfield general. But he'll probably be playing for Chelsea next season.
    He isnt playing on the wing for Real, he's stuck in the centre.

The worst thing about modern football is the lack of 'jolly up' factor IMO, still, thats what sunday league's for.

As for better players not playing for Real, Central Midfield wise in England alone youve got ****, Macalele, Lampard, Scottie Parker, Viera. Ou and out winger wise he's cast in a more favourable light simply due to the extinction of proper wingers in the modern game, indeed, ive never even seen Beckham 'run' at anyone and he's one of the 'best' wingers of all time?. Personally, though he's on his left peg, i think Nedved is a far superior 'winger'.

Man Utd's "downfall' simple, defensive weakness, theyve had it ever since Jip Jap Stamm (Beat him if you can) and Schmeichel departed, and without Ferdinand (again IMO overrated) the back line has been shown up for what it is, flimsy

--Jakk

EDIT: Heh, the lanuage filter *'ed out Nicky B|_|TT
    Last edited by Bigjakkstaffa; 03-13-2004 at 05:16 PM.

i'd have him in my team anyday, and for all the greats out there, only Liverpool and Celtic have managed to perform in europe in the past five years or so, with the exception of Man U. No Beckham, immediate drop in standards, no cup, no leauge, and worst european performance in eight years, says it all to me.

I guessed it musta been botty LOL, but the new language filter is a scream, good thing though.

Ultimate Member
    I dont think its purely a Beckham thing, its the deteriation of the team as a whole since 1995 onwards.

Theyve gone from defensively solidin the early 90's to..well..not, having possibly the greatest goalkeeper to have played since Gordon Banks, to having Fabien 'whoops ive just tried to dribble past the oppopisition centre forward and been dispossessed) Barthez, finally back to a faily decent keeper in Howard (i know my onions when it comes to keepers, i am one ).

Midfield wise, Keane is slowing down, Giggs has never been all he's cracked up as, and your never going to find a suitable replacment for Beckham in today's game because decent wingers are as rare as rocking horse poo poo and inside Europe you can't get one for love nor money, as well as this the players that have been brought in recently havent really gelled together as hoped makign the gap even more gaping.

Man Utd have always known a good striker whan they see one, and thats been their saving grace in recent years, without Ole, Rudd and co. Man Utd's decline would have been ever more apparent to observers much sooner. Instead man Utd have appeared a strong side in recent years, when in fact, they aint

P.S. Scott, Arsenal arent named Arsenal according to the American sports team naming convention (i.e. lets give em a totally irrelevant and silly name as long as it sounds really cool and butch) but because they were originally the workers team for Woolwich Arsenal, Britains main munitions factory.

--Jakk

the gunners, as you would have them, thats where our silly names come in, as nicknames. I still would not underestimate Man U as they still got a good team, but perhaps the manager should have gone instead of Becks.