4 50.00%
  • No

1 12.50%
  • Don't know

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pakistan rejoins the Commonwealth

Pakistan rejoins the Commonwealth

Now that Pakistan has been welcomed back into the Commonwealth, an institution that includes members from all continents and oceans – both "North" and "South", including one-quarter of the world's nations, people, races, religions, and political ideologies, rich and poor, large and small, with similar education systems and English as a common language, based as it is on the old British Empire, should they now seek fuller political union and free trade to counter balance the excesses of the United States, the corrupt and un-democratic EU and the rising power of China.

Members of the Commonwealth:-

Antigua, Australia, Bangladesh, Barbados, Barbuda, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Darussalam, Dominica, Fiji Islands, Ghana, Grenadines, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malaysia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nevis, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent, Swaziland, The Bahamas, The Gambia, Tobago, Tonga, Trinidad, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Zambia.

I voted "no" because I feel that Pakistan should be subjugated by The United States and used as slave labor and cannon fodder in our war with Iraq/The Taliban. I don't want to see The United States enter a war with Great Britain to do it either.

You'd be lucky, Johnny Fist, because the last time I was in the UK passport control had a Pakistani operating it,(naturalised of course) and as an average it seemed that about 10% of the population was from the Indian sub-continent, and in some areas I visited about 80%, so it looks like you'd have a few million potential laborers slip through the net.
    While on the subject, why do they call foreign born citizens naturalised, were they un-natural before?

Yes, as a matter of fact they were.

what is the point of the commonwealth.

Pakistan has tried democracy it just doesnt work for them. its true. Pakistan thrives under miltary dictatorship. so let them be.

my family is origanally from pakistan, i was born in scotland though.

So what you're saying is that the people from Pakistan are like little children that need to be told what to do all the time? Please, if democracy didn't work for them its because of a lack of education, if anything.

Democracy is over rated, people as a group are stupid and cannot be trusted to make the right choice.

“The Majority Is Always Wrong” –Socrates-

Then what would you propose as a better alternative?

well a better alternative is military dictatorship. some dictatorships can be good.

winston churchill was a dictator.

Pakistani prime ministers and presidents elected in are almost always corrupt. they leech money off the country and conn the people. it unfair to say a lack of education is the problem. remember you living in your developed country that Pk is developing still, and the developing country people dont appreciate your desparaging remarks. so dont comment on things you dont have the full picture on please. just because the education isnt world class doesnt mean that they dont know what is good and bad, what is just and injust.

"is a person who thinks men honest when they are not a just man??" - Plato.
    Last edited by porsch1909; 05-26-2004 at 01:55 PM.

If the occasional western democracy execute a president or prime minister now and again, it might just get them to lift there game a little, unlikely but worth a try.

I've been to Pakistan, Baluchistan and Afghanistan and enjoyed myself there, I went to visit a friend who moved back to Quetta, an experience of hospitality and friendship missing in our lives, though the political and religious situation make it a more dangerous place for westerners now the freedom to do as you please as long as sex wasn't involve was new to me, the tribes people are very independant and have a low opinion of politicians, so we had a lot in common, I was treated well and saw a truly different way of life, and a people with great self reliance and self respect. It was a memorable time of my youth, which I am greatful to have had the chance to do.

Pakistan is a good country. i have a huge family in Pakistan and the thing i dislike most about pakistan is family politics. its a nightmare, makes me wish they would all **** out my life.

my favourite phrase to my aunt with daughters is, " Yes i know i am 16 now but i dont want to marry your daughter."

arranged marriage do have the lowest divorce rates, but that because of the disgrace of.....a divorce.lol. its all pretty funny if you think about.

Originally posted by porsch1909
    well a better alternative is military dictatorship. some dictatorships can be good.

winston churchill was a dictator.

Pakistani prime ministers and presidents elected in are almost always corrupt. they leech money off the country and conn the people. it unfair to say a lack of education is the problem. remember you living in your developed country that Pk is developing still, and the developing country people dont appreciate your desparaging remarks. so dont comment on things you dont have the full picture on please. just because the education isnt world class doesnt mean that they dont know what is good and bad, what is just and injust.

"is a person who thinks men honest when they are not a just man??" - Plato.
    Interesting.

Karl Marx said that capitalism, if allowed to develop, was a stepping stone on the way to communism. His point was that corporations would keep buying each other up until there were only a very few monopolies that controlled everything and at that point the people would rise up and take over those monpolies.

It's starting to looks like Karl was right, and we're almost half-way to making his prediction come true.

Maybe he was, but I don't see any revolutions on the horizon.