Thread: Compaq DL380g1 mods

Compaq DL380g1 mods

Greetings

I am trying to quiet down my Compaq DL380g1 by replacing the two internal case fans with quieter versions. My problem is that the existing fans plug directly into the motherboard using 5pin (one of which is not connected) connectors (non-molex). The fan itself has 3 wires (red, black, yellow) but goes to the 5pin motherboard connector as
    Yellow ( I assume this is +5v dc)
    (no connect)
    Red ( I assume this is +12v dc)
    Black ( I assume this is ground)
    Black ( I assume this is ground)

ANYWAY, I went out and bought several whisper fans to replace these noisey fans
    and none of them have this 5 pin motherboard connector. I experimented and tried splicing the red to red , yellow to yellow, black to black , but keep getting a BIOS error that tells me that I dont have a Power Supply or CPU fan attached at bootup.

I have the Compaq "Startup" CD for the system.
    Do I need a BIOS upgrade?
    Can I shut off the FAN monitoring in BIOS?

If the fans are all up and running, I'd say you are OK and could disable fan monitoring. Just make sure they are all spinning. Since you are tweaking around with the wiring, and have aftermarket fans, they may not be able to to have their RPM monitored by the motherboard.

The classic problem of those BIOS errors, I one time changed the stock sleeve bearing fan to a a better retail fan in an HP and those BIOS errors are always annoying. If the new fans you have are spinning disable fan monitoring in the BIOS if there is an option.