Thread: Cannot install W2K

Cannot install W2K

I have a company laptop (made by Dell) that came with Windows 2000 pre-installed. Due to the limitations of my home PC (running Windows 98) I'd like to evaluate the Windows 2000 software on my home PC before committing to buying a licence. I want to see whether it will do what I want it to.

My problem is that when I try to install the operation system it tells me that my PC isn't a Dell. The message says "This software is licenced for use on Dell computer systems only". How can I deactivate this so I can install the operating system?

I promise to uninstall it after I've evaluated it

UPDATE - sorry I think this is posted in the wrong place - I'll repost in correct forum, sorry
    Last edited by BodgerBaz; 03-06-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Sounds like you just want a free copy of 2000 right?

Haven't you evaluated it enough on your laptop to make a decision!

This thread will probably be deleted, can't say I'd be sorry.

How cynical can you get?

This is nothing! Don't get me going about politics.

You can surely see my point though.
    A new member with only a couple of posts asks how to install W2K onto 2nd PC without paying for an extra, legitimate license.
    Last edited by zybch; 03-06-2004 at 05:59 PM.

Originally posted by BodgerBaz
    How cynical can you get?

as stated in the othe place you posted..what your asking is against the rules for Sysopt..I'm not Cynical..but boy BipolarBill sure is...

LIBERAL!!!!!

Originally posted by zybch
    LIBERAL!!!!!

ok, thanks...

first off...BipolarBill is far from cynical...old maybe...but not cynical

second....Steve as a mod here is one of the most righteous in giving great answer and solutions to regular probs and if given time can work most probs out...

me?...I recognized a simple prob becasue even if you had a black market copy of an OPSYS it would load...not okay'n piracy infraction laws or ignoring forum policies...but

since we accept you have a legal version of Win2000 (NTFS is it?)
    then the year and motherboard of your laptop...hard drive capacity and RAM would automatically differ installation possibilities

older Gateways or Dells may need a BIOS flash if they can even take one to accept newer opsys .... most of the time you can get that firmware from the proprietary site

if its a newer Dell then maybe you need good comments from experienced mods or members about the glitch

Personally tho I am not a mod, nor super compwizard, I would rather you could get helpful advice such as Sysopt is famous for...than seeing people wit regular problems upset from the CUTE replies...no stepping on previous comments intended since politeness is a forum policy...and noticing premium long time members in there

but then too this isn't in a 'general' thread' for general commments (you might wanna put it in Software or OPs operating systems...ask the mod) then maybe someone with
    good advice might ping ya

I'll ask steve to look at this ...

I just know how exasperated I get with off-the-line non-subject non-related non-helpful answers become on my own threads

if it "IS" illegal software...it wouldn't show till you hit Microsoft's site as far as I know...so even though you shouldn't use pirated software and you seem to be asking anHONEST question

then maybe we can look for smarter answers and options

good to all
    CYL folks

I'm smilin tho
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

Re: Cannot install W2K

Originally posted by BodgerBaz
    I have a company laptop (made by Dell) that came with Windows 2000 pre-installed. Due to the limitations of my home PC (running Windows 98) I'd like to evaluate the Windows 2000 software on my home PC before committing to buying a licence. I want to see whether it will do what I want it to.

My problem is that when I try to install the operation system it tells me that my PC isn't a Dell. The message says "This software is licenced for use on Dell computer systems only". How can I deactivate this so I can install the operating system?

I promise to uninstall it after I've evaluated it

Our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) states, in part:
    By using these Forums, you agree to the following:
    • You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to discuss illegal activities.
    • You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.