Thread: Dawn of War Graphics Question

Dawn of War Graphics Question

I have the following specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+
    1024mb RAM
    Radeon 9800 Pro

Now, whenever I play DOW it slows up when anything like a few squads of men or big explosions.

What exactley happens is that it slows down and/or textures stretch across the screen.

I thought that my specs should be able to handle this game but it doesn't seem so. It was working fine not so long ago, but whenever I update my drivers, I think that cause the problem.

Should it be okay if I uninstall old drivers then install the new ones?

Ultimate Member
    Did you uninstall your old drivers before updating to the new ones?

Yeah, I just clicked into device manager or whatever and right clicked on Radeon 9800 pro and Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary and clicked uninstall, restarted and installed the new ones off a free CD in PCGamer.

Always go to the official homepage of ATI and install the latest drivers.

Its quite possible that some drivers for ATI work bettr than others depending upon the app. Make sure you reboot after uninstalling ..then install the latest drivers.

I have an Nvidia card and have had no such problems..only better with each set.

Also.... I too have that game and liked it a great deal ( played it through twice to the end ) In my case i have had no problems with graphics and any serious slowdowns..and since you have a AMD3200 it is comperable to my P4 2.8C although I prefer mine better at that range. I use a FX5900 VC with the latest 81.85 drivers.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I got the latest CD off my mag today and installed the latest drivers. This is exactley what I did:

Went into device manager, clicked on Display Adaptors, right clicked on both Radeon 9800 pro and secondary and uninstalled them. Restarted my PC, ran the CD, installed the new update. Is that right?

When I did restart the first time, it said plug and play device found or something, but I just ignored it and installed it myself. Then after installing another one came up, so I let it do its thing and it installed something relating to Plug and Play Monitor.

Tell me, am doing it correctly?

Also, for some reason at the bottom right corner there are two ATI icons for some reason.

The update was 5.9 btw.

First of all .. looking at your first post....I'd say yes.. your system is plenty good enough to handle this game.

Normally if you select the install menu choice in the Control panel method it will look for the latest display drivers out at the time.... and install them.

Whats been said by everybody I know and the experts..is that maybe you should use the dirver removal tool ....which can be found at MajorGeeks.com

Now... I myself when I uninstalled my old drivers.... this is what i did:

Go into the Control Panel and to Add-Remove Programs. remove the display drivers from there. There should only be one set installed.

Step 2: reboot your computer...

Now... install the latest video display drivers for yur card ( be sure to read the release notes from ATI to make sure those will work fine with yuor card.

From reading over peoples results using Catalyst drivers they use.... its possible that some set works better with certain vedio cards.. but don't quote me on that.

Whats important here is that all display drivers are gone...before installing the latest set. Again, I don't use ATI drivers so thier complications might be diferrent then my experiences with Nvidia.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS