Thread: cant get temps down :(

cant get temps down :(

hi, i built a new system recently and i cannot get my cpu temp to go down for the life of me, i tried an OCZ goliath HS/F, a thermaltake silent boost, and my xp2500 stays above 55 degrees at all times, i had it overclocked to 3200 but put it back down to 2500 and its still above 55, never goes above 64, but still its so hot, i have the antec SLK3700 case with 2 120 mm fans cooling it and still its just so hot... any suggestions?

xp2500 @default
    1gb pc3200 geil ram
    msi kt6-delta
    radeon 9800 (no overclock)
    antec 350 watt psu

This may seem obvious but I'll state it anyway; Be certain the HSF assembley is installed the correct way around, that mistake has caught out quite a few system builders before now, so you wouldn't be the first.

Are you using thermal paste or a pad? What is the vcore voltage set at?

Oh! almost forgot ...what program are you using to read the temps?
    Last edited by Strawbs; 02-16-2004 at 06:38 PM.

using artic silver, yeah i put the hs/f together right :P, using default voltage (1.65)

Originally posted by Dennis Bacon
    ... yeah i put the hs/f together right ...
    Your quote makes me feel as though you are talking about assembling the HSF, I was talking about how it's installed on the motherboard, Clarify please!

Check out the Arctic Silver Instructions for info on how thin a layer you need! Too much will act as a blanket (sorry, I can't gauge your level of experience yet).

Are both fans blowing in or out? Most people get good results with one fan blowing in (bottom front of case) and one fan lowing out (upper rear of case.)
    Are your internal cables blocking the airflow through the case? Wire tie 'em out of the airflow.
    Is the case stuck under a desk or in a corner where the hot air can recirculate back to the intake? If so move it, mine is on stilts to alow unimpeaded airflow completely around it.
    Is your HS fan blowing into the heatsink? It should be.
    Does your case have provision for a side fan (blowing at the CPU) or a blow hole (fan blowing out the top)? If it does use 'em, both are very good ways to lower temps.
    Does your heat sink feel hot to the touch? If the sink is cool or just warm and the CPU reads hot then either the heat is not transferring to the sink or your diodes are reading off.
    Are your filters plugged with dust? You do have filters, right?
    If your case has those stamped metal grilles over the fan openings you may wish to consider removing them and replacing them with the wire versions (almost a certain slight temp and noise improvement).
    Try checking the internal temp of the case with a medical thermometer, it should be within 10C or so of your motherboard readings and cooler than your CPU readings. If the case is hot inside don't expect great things from your HSF.
    Optimising cooling can sometimes be quite a project... just stick with it and you'll get those temps under control.
    Enjoy!