Thread: Disk Read Error on PS2; Free fix from Sony?!?

Disk Read Error on PS2; Free fix from Sony?!?

I have had my beloved PS2 for nearly 3 years and I have taken care of it as if it was my child. It has served me well, but approximately 1 year ago, I started having DRE's. I attempted to fix the problem myself by adjusting the laser's angle, and this worked... for 2 days. I soon found out that the first series of PS2's that were released had defective lasers that will eventually die out. So, I spent some time searching the Internet and I found out that Sony was offering to repair the older PS2's and waive their repair cost (S&H was the only charge). Unfortunetly, none of the sites I have seen say anything about waiving the fee even though you have opened the PS2 yourself. The only thing that happens when you open the PS2 is you have to remove the warranty seal (2 years had passed, so it was void to begin with). Right now, my PS2 is still in good working condition (would be perfect, but because of DRE's...).

Long story short: I have DRE's, tried to fix the problem myself, but to no avail. Will Sony still waive the fee? PS2 still works fine except for DRE's.

it is worth a shot, but even if they don't you got a new drive.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

But the laser in the drive will die out. It won't read anything at that point.

Some guy said that if you:
    #1: Have an angry tone
    #2: Sound intelligent and well informed
    #3: Refuse the $100+ repair cost

You better your chances at a free repair. I guess I'll just call them and give them the info. If it's free, then hooray for me. If not, ... well I don't know what to do if not.

A PC case styled like a PS2 with the drives and power/eject buttons... now THAT would be sweet!

well, you could save your money and get this
    Life is a bowl of cherries