Thread: Strange problem with video card

Strange problem with video card

Here is my system specs:

Abit Kr7A-Raid
    Athlon XP 2000
    1 gig Mushkin pc3500
    Soundblaster Audigy 1 Platinum with breakout box
    Newly installed Radeon 9800 Pro
    3 HD's a 120 gig WD 8 meg cache, a 80 gig WD 8 Mb cache, and a 20 gig WD caviar for Linux
    Plextor 708a
    DVD
    USB Hub
    5 fans
    PC Power Cooling 425 ATX turbo PS

The problem I am having is I have to unplug the video card from the power supply then turn on the computer then hook up the power supply to the video card while the computer is on in order to get video to my monitor. If I do a restart from Windows it is fine it is only on a cold boot.

After I do that it works perfectly very strange problem took me a while to figure it out, but that is not going to cut it I would have to leave my side of my case off every time I wanted to boot the computer. Is my power supply overloaded? it has 20a on the 12v rail. I am thinking of buying PC Power Cooling turbo 510 to see if that resolves the issue. Sapphire tech support is worthless. I would be greatly appreciative if any one has any suggestions.

BTW I am gettin a P4 3.2 and an Abit IC7 next week will the power supply handle that. I would like a 64 bit Athlon but I already got too much money invested in ram to make the switch too ECC.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ultimate Member
    Unless the PSU is actually bad, which is possible, it should have no problems running your current hardware, and no problems running your upgraded hardware either. PC Power and Cooling make some of the best, if not THE best PSU's, and 425watts is more than enough.

That being said, it does APPEAR to be some sort of PSU issue. If you have a spare, I would use that before buying another one... Or just rig the spare to power the card only and see what happens.

Also, an Athlon64 will run fine on your ram. Its only the Athlon FX that requires ECC memory.

I will try another power supply hooked only to the card, but I am not the only one having this problem.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/forum/to...Terms=abit,kr7
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

Try disconnecting some devices for time being like the DVD CDRW...soundcards and others...

Power up the system with just the video card connected to the PSU.

Try updating your BIOS. The latest for your MB says:
    Fixes the compatibility issue where the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro fails to boot up with a certain power supply unit - TC-350P. With this power supply, the 9700 Pro will fail to boot up, requiring a reset button push to show the boot screen.
    I know it says "9700Pro" but might fix it for the 9800 too? Get the updated BIOS here... http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=87

Good luck!

I have the latest Bios, I think it is specifically related to this motherboard. I am thinking of someway of building a time delay relay to apply power to the video card 5 seconds after I turn on the computer and marketing it to Abit KR7A users with Radeon 9880 Pro's LOL

Do you have anything else on the same power line coming off the PSU as the video card?

It could be that you have too much on the one line so the startup load is killing you. Try evening out the load on the various lines and see if that helps.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

I tried that and still same problem, it must be a via chipset problem the video card works fine in my ECS K75SA on a 350 watt power supply. I noticed other owners of Abit KR7A boards with the same problem. anyway I ordered a new Mobo should be here by Tuesday so I can live the inconvienece until then but Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

problem is solved I got an Abit IC7-G Mobo and a 3.2c GHz processor installed it and video card boots fine with the same power supply It wasn't a PSu problem, so it must be a via KT266 combatibility problem as i noted others with the same motherboard had the problem. Thanks for the ideas you guys threw out.

or the mobo/vpu combo was drawing to much on boot up. anyhow why would you attempt to plug your video card in after the rest of your system is started up. talk about scary...

I attempted it because it is the only solution to the problem with that MoBo. I now do not have to worry about it because I have a newer better MoBo. It is a problem that has plauged many ABIT KR7 owners so you guys beware. I guess I could have built a time Delay circuit that would apply power 5 seconds to the video card after turning the computer on but what a hassle.

PowerColor 9800 Pro / Abit KR7A

Help!

I'm having the same issue. I just spent the $250 on a new PowerColor 9800 Pro, replaced my 4200ti and nothing. My problem is EXACTLY the same as above. I have to mess with the power cable in order to get the video card to post.

I don't know what to do or where to turn to get this thing working. The place I bought it from is already sending me a new one and I have to return the one I got (thinking it's defective). This is all costing me lots of wasted money on shipping.

Any help you guys can provide would be so very very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Shears; 03-02-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Welcome to SysOpt!

In the future, you're better off starting you own thread.

Soulburner's problem turned out to be the MB so? Good luck!

For some reason the Radeon 9800 pro didn't like my Abit KR7A motherboard. it seems others are having the same problem.
    I have since installed an Abit IC7-G motherboard and the video card boots fine. with the same power supply and even a couple of more fans added to the case.