Thread: SYSTEM PROBLEMS

SYSTEM PROBLEMS

I keep trying to OC my 2500XP to 3200, but everytime I Reboot the PC it just restarts before getting into Windows. I have to clear the CMOS and go back to stock. PLEASE HELP

ABIT NF7-7
    AMD 2500+ XP
    Corsair PC3700
    Win XP Pro
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

Re: SYSTEM PROBLEMS

Originally posted by Yoshi
    I keep trying to OC my 2500XP to 3200, but everytime I Reboot the PC it just restarts before getting into Windows. I have to clear the CMOS and go back to stock. PLEASE HELP

ABIT NF7-7
    AMD 2500+ XP
    Corsair PC3700
    Win XP Pro
    Have you tried increasing the VCore slightly? My 2500+ needs 1.725v to run stably at 3200+ speeds.

I'll try it
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

No luck, same problem, and it wont even hit 2600+ stable
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

How about relaxing the memory timings & bumping up the VDIMM?

How do I do that
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

If you are trying to do it in one jump... try backing off and get it working at 333 FSB, or lower, first. then run memtest and monitor the temps and voltages. Once satisfied that all is well at lower speed, increase your buss speed, one step (or two) at a time, untill it stops working, or becomes unstable, then increase the cpu voltage. I had to raise my CPU voltage one step (to 1.67, I think) to get 3200 speeds. Remember, just change one thing at a time.
    I got my 2500 working at 10 or 10.5 multiplier and 200Hz clock (400FSB) first. Then I had to raise the voltage to get to 11 multi. But your results may be different.
    Hope this helps...
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-03-2004 at 10:50 PM.

I'm runnign 1.85 volts to get 2.34ghz out of an Barton XP2600 so you might want to push your voltage more.

I have tried styepping one by one, raising and lowering multiplyers, and Vcore but all I could maybe get is 363 FSB, could it be my ram, it is Generic 3200, not the PC3700 anymore.
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

Ok, I am getting fed up with this new PC, the RAM, HD, Vid Card and everything tested fine, but when I start Windows it runs fine then shuts down, I have to turn off the power to restart it and the only way I can run stable is if I clear the CMOS and run at Default 1100MHZ, I don't want to OC anymore, just want to get it at 2500+ specs.
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

I'm thinking we need more info.
    You may have a problem with either the ram or the power supply. Another option is that you just might have gotten a processor that does not want to overclock (Not all 2500's are Bartons, are you sure that it is a Barton chip?) What brand and wattage powersupply do you have? Do you have access to and know how to use a DVM? What are your current RAM timings?
    To alieviate the frustration level, back the machine off untill its stable, and give us some time to think. Trouble shooting long distance is very difficult.
    What heatsink do you have and does it feel hot right after the machine pitches a fit?
    What are your temp readings, and are they rising, just before it takes a dump?
    There will be more questions later, I'm not an Abit expert but some of the others here are.
    Meanwhile take a step back, a deep breath and try to ...
    Enjoy!

Last time I checked, all the 2500+ were Barton cores. You may be thinking of the 2600+.

Check the motherboard for a jumper or dip switch that sets the default fsb to 166/200.

Originally posted by Happy Joe
    I'm thinking we need more info.
    You may have a problem with either the ram or the power supply. Another option is that you just might have gotten a processor that does not want to overclock (Not all 2500's are Bartons, are you sure that it is a Barton chip?) What brand and wattage powersupply do you have? Do you have access to and know how to use a DVM? What are your current RAM timings?
    To alieviate the frustration level, back the machine off untill its stable, and give us some time to think. Trouble shooting long distance is very difficult.
    What heatsink do you have and does it feel hot right after the machine pitches a fit?
    What are your temp readings, and are they rising, just before it takes a dump?
    There will be more questions later, I'm not an Abit expert but some of the others here are.
    Meanwhile take a step back, a deep breath and try to ...
    Enjoy!
    I don't want to ovefclock, I just want stock speed and it wont even give me that, it is at 1100MHZ. I'll call ABIT tOmorrow to see if there is a switch on the MOBO.
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

Yoshi:
    For what I see and understand your mobo supports 200 FSb and also your Memory (PC 3700 or 3200 it does not matter but if is generic IT DOES)so there will be no need to raise the voltage on that but keep an eye on your timings.....keep them at default as you raise your FSB.

Now, in theory, you are trying to run "only" your processor out of spec and that's where you have to center( I think).
    It's very simple:
    Or your chip can not take it ( not even raising the voltage ) or your cooling solution it's not up to the task or your Power supply just does not have the juice for it.

I know it's very easy to tell you what to do ......or what you should do..........or try this and that ......but man ... no matter what anybody tells you OC=PROBLEMS and (sometimes) it's not really that easy..........or worthy as you can see.

You said: I don't want to OC anymore, just want to get it at 2500+ specs.

So here is the dilema and the real question......do you really wanna do it??
    If so ....... the only way you are gonna get it right is after alot of playing, and I mean a lot.Good luck .

I can not tell you how many "days" I've spend or waisted to get my system stable as it's today but I still have many questions like Why I can not get 201 Mhz on my Asus Rev 2 with Corsair 3500 out of the XP2600???????????

I gave up on that one a loooooong time ago.

Last time I checked, all the 2500+ were Barton cores.
    I checked, you're right... my bad...sorry.
    Enjoy!