Thread: CPU Upgrade w/o OC

CPU Upgrade w/o OC

Checking pricing on pricewatch and looking at these 4 possibilities for a replacement of a 1gig Duron.
    1. XP 1700 Tbred, $42.00
    2. XP 2200, $55.00
    3. XP 2400, $67.00
    4. XP 2500 Barton, $79.00, Will require a bios flash.

W/O OCing which shows the best price point?

2500+ barton, will run cooler than most the others, is faster and can easily be change to run to go with DDR400. Yes it's a little more, but actually I wouldnt' be suprised if it gave you an extra year of useful life from it.

I suppose it really depends on the rest of your system...especially RAM and Motherboard. There's no point upgrading to a higher processor if you are running slow RAM(by todays standards) cos you wont get the full benefit. List the rest of your system and how much you want to spend on upgrading your system.
    The Barton XP2500+ is easily the best value for money chip on the go at the mo! 400Mhz RAM is really required to get the best from it though!

I don't want to hijack your thread bonz, but have the same question. By the way, what board are you running?

I'm currently using the following:

Athlon 1.0Ghz
    ASUS A7V133-C (rev 1.05.)
    768MB PC133 SDRAM (256MBx3)

From the research i've done this board will support up to an Athlon XP 2100+ (Palomino/Thoroughbred). If I go this route i'll look for a T-Bred to decrease the heat a little...

Any opinions on this?

Currantly the board is a KT3 Ultra2 which will need a bios flash from ver.5.6 to 5.7 to run the Barton and the rest up the components are up to it! Just leary of flashing as I keep hearing of flashes gone wrong.

I have an MSI nFORCE mATX board that has the Duron in it and was thinking of putting my XP1700 on that and maybe upgrading the KT3 to one of the higher CPUs like the 2400 which is supported w/o a flash. But if there isn't a big enough increase to warrant the xtra cash I'll just buy another 1700 for the nForce board.
    I don't know that the perf. incease is that great from the 1700 to the 2200 to warrant the xtra $13.00

Spend the extra $13.00 and get the faster processor.

Yeah, MSI's sitel lists Barton support w/ BIOS version A6380VMS.570. Honestly, i've never had a BIOS flash go wrong... I wouldn't be too worried. Just double check to make sure you have the correct BIOS and follow the flash instructions... you should be able to backup the existing BIOS version before flashing. That way, if the flash doesn't take you can re-flash with the last known working version.

I would get the 2500+. It'll be the best performer, doesn't cost much more and will probably have higher resale value when you upgrade next.

I was originally looking at the Barton for the upgrade but still feel hesitant with flashing bios.
    I'll have to study up on it so as to keep mistakes to a minimum.