Thread: Athlon 1.0Ghz -> Athlon XP 2000+/2100+

Athlon 1.0Ghz -> Athlon XP 2000+/2100+

I'm currently running the following:

Athlon 1.0Ghz (Thunderbird)
    ASUS A7V133-C
    768MB PC133

I was looking to build a new machine but that's going to have to wait. In the meantime, i'd like to boost performance a bit for video
    encoding...

I'm thinking of going with either an Athlon XP 2000+ or 2100+. The board (rev 1.05".") will support up to a 2100+ (Palomino/Thoroughbred). I'd prefer to go with a Thoroughbred tho to keep temperatures down a bit.

Any opinions on this one?

That sounds like a good plan, tbred is def the way to go. I've been slightly thinking of replacing the palomino 2100+ in my laptop with a tbred just for the slight temp dif I'll get (its already far too much, esp since laptops arent cooled nearly as well as desktops)

Call me weird but for some reason I like tbreds better than even bartons :\

I was talking to guy who recently just built a new 2500+ system. He hasn't really noticed any difference in performance over his 2100+ based on seat-of-the-pants testing... not until you throw some heavy encoding at it anyway. That's what i'm looking to improve... encoding times (DV -> DivX/MPEG2). And I wouldn't mind any other improvments... even if they're only mild.

Well since the price difference is almost nothing from the 2100+ to 2500+ and some higher you might as well get the best your board supports. If you want you could even get a new motherboard and buy the barton. They seem to have the most overclockability which, when encoding you might as well squeeze as much out of it as possible. The ram would probably be a setback if you decided to get a new motherboard though

Either way you are going to get an amazing performance increase with encoding times by upgrading from that 1ghz tbird.

My current board will not support a Barton. I was looking to build either a 2500+/2800+ A7N8X-E/NF7-S system but the finances are simply not available - it would cost me about $438CDN minimum after tax w/ 512MB PC3200.

If I can get away with a 2000+/2100+ for around $100CDN, or used (tested) for even less, i'll be happy with this machine for a while longer.

Not sure exactly what the exchange rate is but I see a ton of 2100+ tbreds on pricewatch for ~$60USD