Thread: Duron OCing

Duron OCing

Hi guys.
    I'm going to a computer sale tomorrow, and I know there's going to be a large number of Duron CPUs going cheap. I've got a spare board handy, so I thought I'd buy one and mess about with it. I missed Durons when it came to my upgrading, so can someone tell me what core/stepping I should be looking for to have the best chance of a big overclock? Thanks.

I'm assuming that the durons are not the new applebreds and are the older spitfire ones. My duron 600 clocked up to 1050MHz (model EV6). Most of the other spitfires clocked to approximate speed so why pay more for a 750,800,etc
    If applebreds are available then the 1.6Ghz are apparently clocking as high as 2.1GHz + and you might be lucky and be able to unlock the other 64K cache but this is very hit and miss.

T

Thanks Terminator
    An impressive hangover prevented me from going today, but they'll be there tomorrow too. I really don't know what will be available (the people selling aren't exactly tech-savvy), but I suspect it'll be older models rather than Applebreds. Do you know which chips an nForce board would be capable of unlocking without the whole bridge painting malarky (if any)?

None. Make sure that it isn't the Morgan core as those are still floating around. I think they stopped it at 1300. It doesn't clock well either, 1400 is considered a good oc for that core, 1500 would be a dream. All Duron's now are made on the Applebread (Barton neutered) core from what I've read. You will have to bridge paint regardless of any chipset if you want to enable the extra 256 cache.

An Applebred out be great. I understand that they clock very well. Spitfires are good also.

Here is the coding on my Duron 600...Please note there may be some parts wrong(not many) as it's partially lapped and was hard to read. Green core on brown base.

D600ASTJB
    AKAA0026APAW

I'd imagine you can pick them up for a couple of quid each. I remember when I bought it that it was the highest % overclocker at the time.

Happy shopping

T

I picked up a 1 GHz chip (DHD1000AMT1B) and a 600MHz one that I can't read the code on. Hopefully I'll get around to playing with them within the next week or so. Dirt cheap Thanks for the info

durons

A good morgan core duron will go to 1500Mhz, the 1600 duron that is available now is a xptbred core with the cache emasculted. not the barton core...ie Thorton.

I have 2 1600 durons I keep around as spares that will do 2000Mhz at defalt settings so I think they will go a couple hundred Mhz higher too.
    Fidere,
    Credo quia absurdum est,
    Credo quia intelligam,
    Ne conjuge nobiscum,
    Support your Big Red machine!