Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JV 16 POWER TOOLS PROBLEM

Banned

JV 16 POWER TOOLS PROBLEM

This is very interesting to me. I've been using jv16 power tools for quite some time now,
    and from time to time updating the thing, so the last time I updated it,
    I realized that is has a time limit of 30 days trial,and it will set one back $30 bucks to buy it, of which I can't afford it now,
    so after using it for 10 days or so, I decided to uninstall the software,
    and reinstall my older version which has no time limit,
    so after a reboot I wanted to open the application, but to my surprise I get a pop up that tells me that the version I'm using is old of something to that effect,
    and the application remain locked with no way to initialize it,
    so I uninstalled it as well , and cleaned the registry a bit with reg seeker,
    and after that, I did a search in the registry for the "infernal" entry of jv 16 which won't allow me to install a legitimate old version of it,
    and indeed there was one which I promptly deleted, thinking that I was done and the problem of installing the old version was solved,
    no it did nothing, after reinstalling the old version I still get the same massage,
    and could not open it.
    There must be a clock\tic in the registry that trigger this pop up and make the older versions of jv16 power tools useless, my question here is: Where is this masked and infernal string\tic and how do I find it, help in this matter is appreciated t

if your running xp restore back to a time before the "update".
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Banned
    ammok I don't use that garbage in wxp pro "sys restore" is that what you're talking about if it is you defiantly don't understand my question here for your information my post deals with a registry question, and I don't intend to go shooting in the dark with dilettante propositions, "with respect" reread my question and "if" you understand what I'm talking about please offer a solution, which will be most welcome, if not let it be so that others with more knowledge may suggest something useful thx

and with that attitude good luck to you, and exactly what do you think "system restore" actually restores?

Banned
    if you're lucky and try to restore 35 gegs of stuff

it restores the registry. like before the timekey was installed, does not restore or alter data files, for example, that you have manually deleted, you would need ghost to do that.

Wow....

Gotta tell ya, THAT attitude is going to get you A LOT of help.

Ammok's suggestion is a very good one. The system restore will any registry entries since the date restored. Since you and YOUR INFINATE KNOWLEDGE cannot find the entry (or resident file), let the garbage sys restore do it for you. Besides, XP's system restore isn't too bad...its Windows Me's that blew chunks.
    Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 01-02-2004 at 06:18 PM.

Your directness to your fellow helper (Ammok) makes you sound ungracious and unappreciative of his assistance. However, this may have been unintentional.

Firstly, JV of jv16 PT kept his intentions really quite. Even his long-term helpers (mods) new nothing about the switch from freeware to shareware and the forum database and community was lost too, which was a real shame.

I have heard that the shareware version is a disappointment and that the freeware version is better overall. I guess the company wants to keep on the safe side – keep free technical support costs to a minimum – and so is less adventurous. It was also on the expensive side (initial purchase, payable updates and tech support as reported in a number of major technical newsletters).

For this reason I choose Ace Utilities (and deleted my copy of jv16 PT latest version – don’t need it anymore) to my collection and beta test with the developer who is a nice guy (testing it right now for the new version).

My main Windows Registry cleaners are:

· RegSafe (for invalid key confirmation, backups and restoration even for a non-booting NTFS system partition) www.regsafe.com
    · RegVac (www.superwin.com) unlimited upgrades
    · Ace Utilities (www.acelogix.com) unlimited upgrades (beta test this one)

You could use AU and RegVac (shareware but in full trialware mode) to clean invalid key entries but it is unlikely that this approach will work. It may have been the intention of the developer of the shareware version that it would not be possible to install the freeware version afterwards. This is also something you should have considered before installing it. You should have also set a restore point, tested the shareware version, made you mind up, and then reverted prior to the shareware install if you did not intend to purchase at that time. Moreover, the shareware and freeware versions may be different animals or, as I suspect some files or Registry entries used by the freeware version are also used by the shareware version but updated.

This means that it is unlikely, unless you know the specific key to delete or modify, that you will be able use the freeware version again under your present Windows setup. It is unlikely that the developer will afford you this information either.

It may be the case that the only time you will be able to use jv16 PT V1.3.0.196 again is if you reinstall Windows cleanly later.

There may be a solution but at this time, I do not know it. The developer will of course.

An important point to consider is that as Windows and other programs progress the use of old unsupported programs becomes more worthless and pernicious in use. Think carefully about using PT (freeware) over the long-term.

G

As said above even system restore will probably not solve your problem.
    But is there a way around this.
    OOOh yes.
    Am i gonna tell you.
    OOOh NO. Not with an attitude like that.
    Work it out yourself.

Regards Shent.
    If it ain't broke fix it until it brakes

Banned
    this is for Ammok and Mr Miyagi, Just for the sake of your understanding what's happening here, first of all I've deactivated sys restore in wxp pro form the very start of wxp pro install, cause it's baggy,
    and unreliable from my experience with it,
    second I use norton ghost and I update it as I go along adding stuff and deleting stuff every few days or so,
    it is much faster and safer then WSR.
    I've been using it for years, I can restore my sys of 35 gegs of data in about 45 to1 HR,
    ( with high compression it'll take only abut 14 gegs of space) and it never misses a bit,
    unfortunately I updated the ghosted image after the installation of jv16 shareware version ,
    and now I have this problem and my question came from it and it's essentially a reg tweak question,
    and unless one know exactly where and what to look for to take out that string if at all possible,
    But of course I also don't want to miss the opportunity to indeed thank you for your lengthy dispensation of the merit of the suggested course of action,
    I especially enjoyed the "details" of the kernel of your wisdom

Banned
    G thank you for your sane and informative replay, I'll look into the suggested links,
    but I'll continue to investigate this and see how, and if it's possible to resolve this registry situation.
    It's really a academic question for me, and not the end of the word, I'm more curious of the process and learning it's technicality,
    cause I can live just fine without jv16 but,
    just cause JV was so rude in doing the switch to shareware and on top he added insults to injury,
    by putting a snake reg key in the registry, I was a fervent follower of his work,
    and taught many of my friends on how to use his stuff. He will never see a US dime from me for his soft. Cheers

Banned
    Shent I'm sure and quite confident of your knowledge and deeeep understanding of programming and stuff ,
    but don't forget that this is a forum where people came not only to fix they wares but also, and most importantly to learn how computers and systems work in it's intricacy , so if you withhold your "deep knowledge" from me you also deny you knowledge to thousand of others that read this forum and might benefit from it, although not great, but this is really very good site,
    and don't forget that there are dozens of forums if not hundreds that deals in registry matters. I'm particularly found of this forum cause of the moderators and cool headed guys like G, but I have no patience with adult children and pretentious folks that intimate but can't deliver.
    With respect cheers

Im still trying to figure out what a "geg" is.....

hmmm i bet thats a lot of bytes....
    -------------------------------------------
    The Matrix Has You...
    Give a man a fire, he stays warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life.
    My systems: 2.8ghz P4, 800mhz FSB HT
    1Gb Geil Dual Channel DDR PC3200
    120Gb Maxtor HD SATA
    Nvidia Vanta 16mb (soon to be replaced)

1.8ghz P4 400mhz FSB
    384 Mb DDR PC2700 Kingston RAM
    1x 40 GB, 1x 80gb HD's
    1x DVD/CD-RW 48x, 1x CD-rw 16x
    Onboard intel graphics (soon to be replaced)

Justone, thanks for your kind words. As you have mentioned whether the freeware version of PT installs or not is academic now to you. Your pursuit is to understand why it will not re-install – an intellectual pursuit. If you find the answer can you reply back here and PM me too.

I once took JV to task on his invalid testreg Window Registry efficacy test (G on his forum too). I found him courteous and would answer what he could but not always to my satisfaction. Nevertheless, I liked him and he gave a very good service freely. However, I always feel that freeware although good in many respects, a freeware version will get to the point that it is either bought out by another or goes commercial alone. In essence, the end user was the bug finder and motivation to develop the software for this end goal. The partnership works ok initially but breaks down ultimately.

However, JV’s disappearing act was less than admirable. Although I had expected this and mentioned this in my post to him (but denied), it did leave many less experienced user unsupported, alone, and the worst indictment is that a great forum of knowledge was deleted overnight.

I would have rather JV had been honest and forthcoming about his intentions. I do not think his approach has done PT shareware any favours at all.

I will keep your problem in mind and if I find a solution I will post it to you.

G

PS:

Hari of AU will give you a nice discount if you have limited finances. Let him know that G sent you over.
    RegSafe is a steal at $29.99 (it was nearly $100 at one time)
    RegVac (there are no discounts at all) but WinRescue for each version of Windows can be bought at a reduced price after one WR purchase has been carried out - not too bad a deal. I use this for compacting the Windows Registry.

well, it is bad luck the ghost version was created after the shareware upgrade, but since you have it, then you can always try the slash and burn technique, which will almost indupitably mean several ghost reinstalls,LOL.

Search the registry and delete anything you don't like, with enough time you will find the key to eliminate. I've gone through mine searching on "JV" and also "JV16" and there are several entries to play with. and not all where you would expect to find them, perhaps.

Sorry can't help, but G's info explains a lot.