Thread: Intel is stupid

Intel is stupid

s a store owner, i think im gonna completly quit stocking Intel garbage. Just the other day i ordered a P4 1.4 from my distributor and 3 days later they cut prices and i can now get a 1.7 for the same price as i paid for the 1.4. That sucks. When they do that they just drive away retail stores. They need to start doing things like AMD. They have steady, not to drastic price cuts when they are needed. When new processor speeds come out the whole like (athlon or duron) drops a steady amount, Unlike intel who will change the prices on celerons because the came out with a new p4, but leave the PIII prices higher. i mean i can buy a P4 one one week cheaper than a PIII and vise vera next week. Its crazy. Theres no way i can keep up with them. I am just gonna start telling my customers to buy amd (which i alread do) or they can wait for me to order some intel stuff. Theres no way all that mess is worht the hassle. The only thing intel has caused me to do is loose money... Argh!!!

That sucks. It hurts the little man. (no offence) I'm sure the big OEM's are kept informed of pricecuts.

You can call Intel many names, but not "stupid".
    Intel declared war on AMD, it won't let AMD repeat the same situation like a year ago, when AMD introduced 1GHz Athlon before 1GHz PentiumIII, and the 1.13GHz PentiumIII joke that followed later
    Intel still have enough money to do those sharp price-cuts, no doubt they're loosing a fortune now, but they're thinking about tomorrow.
    Ordinary people don't care about performance, they're buying MHz, and GHz now. They will buy Intel processors just because Intel now has 2GHz processor while AMD only has 1.4GHz.

I'm holding my fingers crossed for AMD

Best Regards ...

Don't count out AMD. I sell computers for a living. I deal with the "dummies" who "are only buying Gigahertz'". Some day in the forseeable future, 64-bit computing will be mainstream. People are going to want computers to upgrade the emachines they got for $100 after signing up for compuserve. They're going to come into the store and look for computers. When they decide on the Intel machine with an Itanium processor, I, like many others are going to have a conversation like this:

Me: Ok, tht machine costs $1800.
    Dummy: I got my last one for $100
    Me: yeah well things are a little different now. Do you have any software at home?
    D: You mean like Dear Hunter.
    M: Yeah, or anything else you use.
    D: sure, why
    M: Well, the INTEL processor in their can't play those things any faster than the emachine you bought before.
    D: What in tarnation!
    M: Well this mahine running on the AMD Clawhammer Proessor, will be Wayyy faster than the computer you have now and the machine costs $1300.
    D: Well, gimme two of them then

(Well, not exactly, but you get the point)

You think thats how it will happen? I dont.

J

[This message has been edited by jman01pa (edited 08-29-2001).]

Have you everwatch "Anti-trust" the movie? Someday inel will bite the big one and AMD will reign supreme! I like AMD, they don't seem to have that, screw the customer attitude. Intel, just seems to be very tyrannical at times. Performance and quality is a great thing to build a business on but you have the other qualities like customer satisfaction, decent price. here is a link that will explain some of the things microsoft does that you may or may not know about. Pardon the explicitive but it's here This guy really hates MS.

[This message has been edited by mars1 (edited 08-30-2001).]

explicitive deleted UBB code - Fingers

[This message has been edited by Fingers (edited 08-30-2001).]

bumpy bump

bumpy bump

bumpy bump

Intel has a very bad marketing department.
    They have multiple engineering projects of similar products for two different price categories.

They should instead concentrate on one line of product at a time and minimize cost of ramped up production as opposed to low production on high cost products. ( I am talking about Xeonx vs Px lines ).

If anything hurts Intel any more than the rambus fiasco...AMD might have a shot at dethroning them.

Related topic link:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/012355.html

RAMBUS is on the way out for the high-end Xeon systems. The i870 chipset is a dual-channel DDR platform, though this was developed due to OEM request. Large memory arrays (many GB's) are easier to implement with DDR (signaling issues), plus the low-cost of DDR doesn't hurt either.

However, R-DRAM appears to be Intel's memory standard of choice for its high-end desktop line-up throughout 2002. The P4 i845 SDR/DDR chipset is destined to go the way of the old P3 i810 due to its limited performance.

AMD represents limited threat to Intel at this time. Us people with computer experience realize the potential of AMD products, but the general mass does not. Just look at the sales numbers.

Also remember that AMD is having a hard time pentrating the high-end workstation/server market, simply because Intel has already been competing at this level for many years now. Reputation and reliability generally make sales in this demographic, not performance or price assuming these two factors are generally close anyway.

Robert Richmond