Thread: Pass word on CMOS?

Pass word on CMOS?

HI.
    I have just started playing with computers I got given a old computer with a mother board not working. So I got a mother board for $50nz but when I put it in & started it up it asked me for a pass word to get in to CMOS. Is there a way to get around this as I can not set up the computer? The m/board is a Celeron 333 Don`t laugh I have to start some where LOL
    Geoff.

Usually, there is a jumper on the board that will reset the CMOS back to it's default settings-including resetting passwords. If you have the manual for the board, it should tell you where that jumper is located. If you don't have the manual, look at the markings on the board and post them here. A few people searching the internet can usally find a manual online for just about any piece of computer hardware.
    -Aarmenaa

Originally posted by Aarmenaa
    Usually, there is a jumper on the board that will reset the CMOS back to it's default settings-including resetting passwords.
    Yeh that is always on boards. Becareful though because I had a board not power up because of the CMOS Erase Jumper. It was set from factory and I didn't see it so the board wouldn't power up. Tricked me for a while!

Hi
    Thank you for your reply. No manual. Markings on board are P6L 40-A4E if that means anything to you?
    Again Thank you.
    Geoff.

where did you get the mobo? There has got to be more markings somewhere... do you have a digital camera? if so can you take some pics and ill see if i can identify the right jumper for you...

Hi Stealth17
    I got a pic for you of mobo it has three sets of jumpers thay are blue hope you can make them out?
    Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images

you see that battery?

Unplug the computer, and then remove the battery for a minute or two and see what it happens.

Usually the jumper is near the battery, and is J10.

Originally posted by gjimene2
    you see that battery?

Unplug the computer, and then remove the battery for a minute or two and see what it happens.

Usually the jumper is near the battery, and is J10.

yes but be VERY careful when handling the battery! use latex gloves or something of such otherwise the litium battery will discharge and be dead! happens alot even when installing new...ive seen it enough!

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Hmmm, I've been working on PC's for almost 25 years now and I have never EVER used gloves when handling a CMOS battery. I have never had one discharge on me.

They are only watch batteries!

Originally posted by stealth17
    yes but be VERY careful when handling the battery! use latex gloves or something of such otherwise the litium battery will discharge and be dead! happens alot even when installing new...ive seen it enough!
    Never heard that one befrore.

Hi.
    I removed the battery & still the same think happens. No J10 jumper there is one set marker JP5 with the numbers 1357 beside them this set of 4 jumpers is to the left of the battery. The one on the far left of the mobo is marked PWR STATUS 1 jumper. The other set of 3 jumpers are above & to the right of the battery marked JF2,JF1,JF0.

Geoff.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Look for a small utility called KillCMOS.exe

It make work for you.

Turn off any antivirus software before trying to run this. It will be picked up as a virus trying to modify the BIOS (duh, that is the whole point of the program).