Thread: Memory Question will 400 MHZ mem work in older mobo by underclocking

Memory Question will 400 MHZ mem work in older mobo by underclocking

I have an Athlon XP 2000 with an Abit KT7-Raid Mobo I am getting ready for an upgrade, but right now my memory stick is flaky it is causing crashes and will run errors under mem test and ram tester program. the memory in it now is a 512 mb stick of pc 133. My question is can i go ahead an purchase 400 MHZ memory and run in that MOBO at 266MHX until I upgrade the MOBO, and Proc I specifically am aiming for Athlon 64 by feb. Thanks for the advice.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

There is no such thing as 400MHz SDRAM (168-pin). Were you intending on using DDR RAM? Does the board accept 184-pin DRAM?

You can indeed overspec the RAM on any machine that I know of. Quality is more important than ratings.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I made an error the MOBO I use is a KR7A-Raid that uses DDR 184 pin I just dont want to buy pc2100 memory just want to know if i can use PC 3200 memory in it until I get a newer mobo.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

Yes you can - just don't buy junk.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    I have had good luck with junk ram. Xerox brand. www.tcwo.com sells tons of junk ram at junk ram prices. Never had a RAM problem yet. However, I believe BpB is onto something with his "buy quality" RAM thing. Might just be a good idea.