Thread: sidewinder gamepad and XP

sidewinder gamepad and XP

I recently upgraded from 98 to XP. My old sidewinder gamepad which worked fine under 98 now shows up as unconnected. I cannot find any XP drivers on the Microsoft site. Any suggestions (other than buying a new pad)??

Is the device hooked up to a gameport? So does it show up in Device Manager at all? Does it appear in Control Panel/Game Controller?

Try running a repair installation using the XP setup CD-ROM. Use the instructions found here if you want to save your settings.

Doing a "clean" install is always best. I once did an upgrade installation from 98SE to XP Home and had problems getting Windows to see USB HID game devices. There wasn't even a Game Controller applet in the Control Panel. I had to run the repair installation twice before it worked.

Often, it has to simply be added in Game Controllers.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Did u change your entire pc?
    If so,you may have to enable the gameport on your mobo in the bios,if you are using the onboard gameport(and not an audigy one).
    Otherwise,your XP do no need drivers for the sidewinder.They detect it on their own,but you have ot choose it first on the game controllers section,in the control panel.
    Good luck and enjoy gaming!
    Attention to Perfection

The device is hooked to the gameport. I've added it in the game controllers (auto detect) but it comes up not connected. I've even tried a generic gamepad. Using this, it comes up OK, but no response from the device while trying to calibrate. Just as a check, I unplugged the device and got the same responses. The device manager shows the game port operating correctly.

Does your PC have two gameports - like one on the motherboard and the other on a sound card? If so, they may be conflicting.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The gameport on the MB is disabled. In addition, everything worked just fine before I upgraded to XP.

You have to download new drivers for the gamepad which are compatible with xp also. You may only be able to use the controller with windows me.
    AMERICA IS GREAT>Peace To All.