Thread: VB and Oracle

VB and Oracle

I m working on a project for my college. The project is based on the criminal record management. C.R.I.M.E (Criminal Record and Information Management Enviroment).
    I m using VB as frontend and Oracle 8i and backend. The problem how to take the database with the frontend on another machine where there is no VB or Oracle installed. Its OK For VB as we can make the exe but how to take the database. How to make my application fully standalone. Plz help
    Also how to store photograph on Oracle. I mean i will use the long raw data type but how to store/insert the information. Plz Help me out.

Have you created a DSN file on the new machine to point where the Data is coming from?

One thing I need to know is

1.. did you create the distribution package, which copies all the libraries required to run the program.

2.. How and what methods are you using to connect into Oracle.

Why are you using Oracle. Is there alot of data to process? If not you can Use Microsoft Access. This way, I know you would not need to copy the whole application across. MDAC (Microsoft data access components) would deal with the connections to an (.MDB) file. These file obviously would have to be inserted in the distribution package

I m using Oracle because i have to as it is in my course and i have to use both VB and Oracle. I don't have any option. It is quite strange y v can't take the database only to use it.
    I m connecting VB with Oracle with the help of MS ADODC 6.0.

the problem with oracle sql is that it is not a file based DB.

access for example, you can simply copy the DB file and it will work. this is because the logic for the DB is contained in the file. There are other databases that do that but they arent too common.

Oracle gets its performance from the fact that the logic is contained in one area. the file simply contains the data.

you can do a remote connection to the DB from your VB app but as far as i know you cant just copy a file from an oracle db and make it work. so the comp would have to install a version of oracle and have an actual db running on it for the VB app to connect.

mind you it has been a while since i played with this stuff so there might be new/different versions out by now.

DR