Thread: Checking Outlook mail without Outlook being open

Checking Outlook mail without Outlook being open

I still use my Hotmail for a lot of things so that when I'm just browsing the web, I can see when I receive something.

I'm looking for a small, unobtrusive program to provide me with the same sort of notification when I receive a message on my pop account through Comcast. Then, clicking on it will open up Outlook to my inbox.

Any suggestions? I don't want to leave Outlook open all the time.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Why not configure Outlook to read your hotmail emails and leave Outlook open instead?

1. Outlook IS set up to check Hotmail.

and leave Outlook open instead?
    I don't want to leave Outlook open. I don't like leaving Outlook open. I'm trying to find a way to not leave Outlook open.

Can get a small program like Mailwasher...

Or if it's Outlook 2002:

Put Outlook in Your Tray
    If your PC runs Microsoft Office XP and you like to keep Outlook open but minimized most of the time, you may not want the program to take up space on the taskbar when you aren't actually using it. A reader who signed his e-mail only as David points out that a simple Registry edit lets you make Microsoft Outlook appear as an icon in the taskbar tray (the area near the clock), instead of as a taskbar button, when minimized.

Begin by opening the Registry Editor and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\O utlook\Preferences. With Preferences selected in the left pane, right-click anywhere in the right pane and choose New, DWORD Value. Type MinToTray and press Enter to give your new icon a name. Now double-click the MinToTray icon, enter 1 in the 'Value data' field, and press Enter. If Outlook is running, exit and then restart it. The next time you minimize Outlook, it will disappear from the taskbar and appear as a tray icon. Simply double-click the tray icon to restore it. The Outlook icon appears in both the taskbar and the tray when the application window is open (not minimized), but when you minimize the program, the icon vanishes from the taskbar.

I'll check out MailWasher. Thanks for the suggestion!!

And the MinToTray reg entry is fantastic!! I just wish it cut down on the overhead Outlook uses when it's open!