Thread: MP3 Player Features

MP3 Player Features

While this is not exactly computer related - it is a tech question. I'm trying to find a decent MP3 CD player for use in my office. You would think that I could find decent reviews online, but the ones I find don't address my questions.

I have been using my PII Thinkpad with Winamp as a player, but I work on a military base and they frown on privately owned computers in the workplace. Of course the government-owned computers don't have MP3 software on them and adding any software is forbidden.

I have an Emerson MP3/CD portable, but it lacks a true random function for MP3 disks. When random is selected while playing MP3 songs, the Emerson always plays the same pattern. It also has trouble playing the first 2-3 MP3 files on a disk, though it handles the rest okay.

I have an RCA MP3/CD Boombox and it has a decent random function but has two other problems. It sometimes pauses for a few seconds while playing a song and then is okay, almost like it had to wait for a buffer to reload. Also, it doesn't have a good pause function. Working in an office I do get interrupted and have to pause the music. With the RCA, however, after 3-4 minutes pause ends and the system stops. A few minutes after that and it turns itself off. A good idea when running on batteries, but I have the system running on AC power.

So I'm looking for a replacement player and I'd like to hear your recommendations. The player must cost under $100, have a true random function (non-repeating would be best), and have a real pause function. Since I'm in an office and usually listen via headphones, speaker quality is not a big deal.

I thought I just read an article about Creative making one, cheaper than the IPod...

Take a look there.

I can tell you my room mate uses a RIO....and he likes it.

Outpost has the RioVolt MP3 CD player for 29.99. You'd need speakers, but that's a helluva deal.

Kil4Thril - have you used one of the Riovolt units you mentioned or do you know if it has the features I want? I'm not just looking for low cost - after all I could use the Emerson player I have now and it won't cost me another dime.

dajogejr - yeah hard-drive players are nice, but even a used 6gig Nomad or Archos cost more than $100.