Thread: Printer trouble

Printer trouble

My uncle just gave me a new printer. It's a Lexmark Optra T612 Laser printer.

The problem is that whenever I print a page, there are dark horizontal lines spaced about 2½ inches apart down the page. I'm kinda at a loss considering this is my first laser printer.

MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks. I am already using the newest drivers and I've tried several other sets of drivers.

I read that support article that sounds like it could be the problem, but the cartridge is brand new, along with the printer. Well, not new, it's been at my uncle's house for a while but he said he never used the printer.

......doubt it's a driver issue - because it's not new I'll bet its the printer or the cartridge. Sounds like the printer hasn't been used for awhile - that can cause problems for laser printers in terms of flat spots, etc.

Unfortunately if it's the printer I think you only got a 1 year warranty - it's still for sale on the internet so maybe he bought it in that timeframe - you can check warranty status

here

I've had HP and Epson printers with horizontal, vertical streaks, typically been the cartridge - one was a because I had the original refilled, and they, like many toner refurbishers - did a lousy job and used the wrong toner - the other time they scratched the cylinder (claimed it came to them that way).

Toner cartridges usually have about a 2 year shelf life. Could be that or the cylinder, or the wand (or whatever it's called) that's supposed to clean excess toner off the cyclinder.

The cylinder is under the protective shutter. If you look at the surface of it, you'll see toner residue. A good toner cartridge will always have a clean drum. The cleaner or wand that sits on top of the fuser roller will clean it till it gets overloaded with toner, but maybe the one in your machine has gotten brittle, etc. because of non use.

Pull back the cover and look at your toner cylinder. I'd try a toner cartridge first. but here's more info because it might be a roller problem - make sure you check around with at least 2 repair shops - some are good, some are very bad - good news is your spacing says it's probably the cartridge:

Horizontal black lines

A horizontal black line on the printout is probably the result of a dirty or damaged roller. There are lots of rollers in the printer, and you can use the space between the lines on the page to determine which roller is causing the problem. Measure the distance between the errant black lines on the page to determine which part might be causing the problem. Distance between lines

-Faulty part

0.5”
    Registration assembly
    1.5”
    Upper registration roller
    1.75”
    Lower registration roller
    2.0”
    Toner cartridge developer roller
    2.56”
    Lower fusing assembly roller
    3.16”
    Upper fusing assembly roller
    3.75”
    Toner cartridge photo drum
    link here
    Last edited by rmanet; 11-29-2003 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks for the info. I've figured out that the toner cartridge is actually leaking a little and it's going to cost me $350 to replace.

But, hey, I couldn't have bought this nice of a printer for that, so it's worth it to replace.
    Last edited by rmanet; 11-29-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Try Ebay for the cartridge, I bought several through Ebay for 1/2 price of a new on thru the manufacture. New sealed boxes too. I bought Canon but they had others also for diff. brands.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Originally posted by jrb420
    Thanks for the info. I've figured out that the toner cartridge is actually leaking a little and it's going to cost me $350 to replace.

But, hey, I couldn't have bought this nice of a printer for that, so it's worth it to replace.
    Shop around - and watch out for them "free offers" on older printers - that's a very nice one, but $350, or even half that - is alot of bucks for a toner cartridge - I usually tell people buying laser and inkjet printers to remember - the cheaper the printer the more expensive the cartridge refills

exactly why my very useful Epson 1500 is still on the shelf......