Thread: Mb sounds when playing games

Mb sounds when playing games

Hi all,

When I'm playing games (eg, GTA3) I hear a weird noise coming from my motherboard. I have tried to figure out where it is coming from and have concluded that it is coming from the top corner of my case. This includes the CPU area and the capactors. and the PSU. I've got a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2. The CPU isn't overclocked.

The noise sometimes changes to a constant noise to flutuations of highs and lows.

Has anyone with motherboards experienced this sorta thing?
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Alex.

If the caps look OK around that area, I'd suspect that a PSU fan was dying. What make/model PSU is it? Some (like my TruePower) alter fan speeds depending on the temperature, so when it's under load the fans spin faster. If the bearings are going, that could explain the noise. Roll up a bit of paper, or use a cardboard tube and put your ear on one end to try to isolate the source of the noise.

Yeah the caps are looking alright. I listened to the PSU Fan and that didn't seem to be making that noise. Seems to be the Top left hand part of my motherboard which includes the CPU and Capacitors but I can't find where it is completely coming from. The PSU is Omni 350 Watt. I tried disconnecting a Hard Drive (for lower power consumption) but it still did that noise.

Edit: The sound also happens now when I scroll up or down in Internet Explorer Can also hear the noise softly when my computer is at Idle.
    Last edited by Alex Iannuzzi; 11-28-2003 at 09:50 AM.