Thread: DVI vs. VGA

DVI vs. VGA

Being a bit dense as Ive had my computer for nearly a year and have just realised that i have DVI on my graphics card and LCD.

I was wondering what the benifits were of changing over to using DVI as the connection to the monitor bearing in mind that I'll have to shell out £10 for a DVI cable when I already have a fully working VGA cable.

Is there any advantage that makes it worth the £10.

Thanks for any help.

Ultimate Member
    From my own observations, i've noticed that DVI gives a sharper picture than the standard VGA connection does.

If your display supports both DVI and VGA connections you could give the DVI a shot. Depending on the display/card/cable used you may or may not noticed much of difference tho.

I have a Sharp LL-T17A3-B LCD flat panel and ATI Radeon 9000 with 128mb.

I'd heard that the quality is a lot better but frankly i dont see how this can be the case?

Any and all opinions appreciated...
    Last edited by cjosowski; 11-26-2003 at 04:26 PM.

DVI's better because your LCD outputs a digital signal instead of a CRT's analogue one. Running it through the VGA connector means the signal gets converted from digital to analogue to digital again AFAIK.

Originally posted by fishybawb
    DVI's better...
    I've read that a few times on various websites but does better actually mean anything noticeable. I.E. is it worth going out and spending the money on a DVI cable for the fact that it is digital only and better?

I doubt if you'd notice a serious improvement really, if cash is tight I wouldn't bother.

I thought as much.

Cheers...

i've seen me mate use his DVI though his tv and **** and unless like you've got a plasma or rear projection tv.....stick with the vga mate

Because the DVI is digital, many cards have extra filter capacitors on the DVI side of things because it won't decrease the image quality on a DVI-DVI connection.
    However, if you use a DVI-VGA adaptor many people will find that the output is fuzzier because of the caps.