Thread: from nvidia to ati

from nvidia to ati

Looks like later today i may be upgradeing from a msi g4 ti 4200 128mb video card to the ati 9800 np 128mb card...Could i get a quick update on how to uninstall/install card? I've never switched from nividia to ati and want to do this painlessly... Also i have an amd 1600 xp...will thus bottleneck the card...Thanks...Sam
    my first build...ecs k7s5a...amd 1600 xp processor...512 mb pc2100 ddr ram...maxtor 30 gb 7200 hdd...msi g4 ti 4200 128 mb video card...game surround muse xl sound card...pioneer #116 dvd rom...pacific digital cd-rw... windows xp home

I'm also changing from a GeF4 64 to a 9600 XT 128. First go to Add/Remove in Control Panel and remove nVidia display drivers. Don't reboot. Next run a utility like Nasty File Remover (NFR) or Det. RIP, available at guru3d. If you want the latest catalyst drivers (3.9), download the file before you shutdown Windows (don't reboot). Change your card out for the new one, and boot into Windows. Windows will find the new hardware; specify the location of the driver you downloaded, or specify CD-ROM if using the one that comes with the card. Reset display properties and you're done.

Ultimate Member
    Download the early version Cat 3.10's from www.ati.com, then as previously stated, add/remove the current Nvidia display drivers runnign sumink like Detonator Destroyer to clear up any unwanted remnants. Swap the cards over, boot the machine up and run the Cat 3.10 installer, with any luck all should go swimmingly

--Jakk

Thanks for the information...installed card and newest catalyst drivers...runs sweet....3dmark03...5035...dont know if its good or not...games look better...except for slower fps during rise of nations...ut04 sweet...dungeion siege much better...ffII.about the same....thanks again for the information and support...Sam
    my first build...ecs k7s5a...amd 1600 xp processor...512 mb pc2100 ddr ram...maxtor 30 gb 7200 hdd...msi g4 ti 4200 128 mb video card...game surround muse xl sound card...pioneer #116 dvd rom...pacific digital cd-rw... windows xp home

Ultimate Member
    I just made a very similar switch yesterday. Went from a Ti4400 to a 9800 Pro. My transition wasn't as smooth as I would have liked it, windows did not want to load with the 9800 in place, nor did it want to load with an older 7500 I had that I used for troubleshooting purposes. Safe mode booted up fine, but it would not load normally... Anyway, to make a long story short, it ended up being the 3.13 nForce drivers. I reverted back to 2.45 and everything is fine now.