Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wish to build (close to) dead silent rig...

dual 120mm delta/sunon fan = quietest fan
    Quad 15k scsi 320 hard drive = quiest hard drive

Dont tighten any drive and let them rattle.
    Throw out the side pannel of the tower.

Bam u got a wold quietest computer.... About 100+++ DB computer

Btw I do have quad 15k scsi 320 hard drives in raid 1,0... I had to sound proof my room cause everybody in the house cant sleep when i leave it 24/7 except my girlfriend, son and me.

Originally posted by urdvurk
    If you want a really silent case, and don't have two left hands, you could build your own case from MDF.

I remember seeing a great homemade case a while ago, which was basically a regular case with really long padded inlet and outlet vents (done by zigzagging the vent channels, see illustration). The maker had estimated the needed sectional area of the vents, built in a door for the drives, and the result was a great looking, almost featureless case, with small slots for air intake and exhaust.

Only I've lost the link you see. I've been wanting to build such a case, and I've been looking for the page all night, but I can't find it anymore. Guess I'll have to wing it from what I remember.
    That computer must be hot as hell if u build computer that way! Barely any airflow for the cpu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, so this is what I now have in mind:

Antec Sonata case I'll see how the True380 PSU sounds and if it's not quiet enough, then I'll spend the money on an upgraded one

ASUStek black CD-ROM drive supposedly it's pretty quiet, special motor

Thermalright SP-94 CPU HS not sure what fan to use yet, I have like 10 different fans sitting around which I'll try first and if none of them work out, I'll get my hands on a Panaflow or something.

Seagate ST340014A Barracuda 7200.7 series 40GB drive

two pieces of PNY PC3500 I've got sitting around (512MB each)

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000Pro 2004 GT Edition I plan to render the northbridge cooling passive

ATi Radeon 9600SE already passively cooled, and should work fine with my DVI-Component Video Output dongle from ATi

Again these are still preliminary as I still haven't made any purchases. Got another week to decide. How's it look now?

-Ed
    Last edited by edwardng; 11-27-2003 at 12:56 PM.

That computer must be hot as hell if u build computer that way! Barely any airflow for the cpu.
    You're right, the design I was referring to was in fact a small cabinet that you put over your computer case, so you would have all your regular fans. On top of that there was a additional fan to keep circulation going.

Apparently, if you make padded ducts that make at least three 180 degree turns, they will dampen almost all noise. So as long as the airflow through them is sufficient it should work.

Following up...

I have built the new rig! My dad gave me the machine I built for him (he never uses it) along with its LCD, a Samsung SyncMaster 151P, which is far quieter than my ViewSonic P95f+.

So it's an InWin IW-V523G microATX tower whose original PSU I had replaced with an Antec True380. I am now using this case with a Fortron FSP300-60PN PSU, whose 120mm fan is not audible outside of about 3' within range of it (for my ears, in my room). The motherboard and CPU are Asus P4B533-VM (passively cooled, 845G) and a P4 2.0A (I sold the 2.6C since it would require better i.e. noisier cooling) along with a 512MB stick of Crucial PC2100.

I spent an hour performing an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT application of Arctic Silver V between the cleaned off CPU die (used rubbing alcohol to clean off the **** left over from the Intel OEM HSF that my dad had) and the Thermalright SP-94 I bought; the layer is partially translucent (just barely) and is precisely enough to do the job, no more, no less. I'm running the P4 PASSIVELY COOLED with this sink; it's doing stock voltage of 1.525volts, and idles as low as 30C and hits a peak temp of 48C on long duration load. THERE IS NO FAN MOUNTED TO THE SP-94! However I closed up all openings to the system and the case has a side intake duct that runs directly onto the HS of the CPU, so the intake pressure to equalize exhaust pressure is taken cure of exlusively by cold intake air from this duct, thus, how I pulled off the passive cooling and those temps.

I installed a Visiontek Radeon 9600 card (passively cooled) to replace his Radeon VE and I am using the stock 80mm exhaust fan that came with this case but through a Zalman Fanmate at minimum setting; it's virtually inaudible, but if it's 3am and nobody's driving by my home and nothing is turned on (LCD must be off for this) U can still hear it. If my LCD display is on, that's all I hear (probably because it's 2' in front of my face, whereas the computer is 4' away from my ears, and under the desk). I moved my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro from my power rig to this box and now have this hooked up to my audio system (Onkyo TX-SR501, Audio Parts Inc silver cabling all around, Spendor LS3/5a monitors and a Velodyne CHT-8 woofer). I'm in audio bliss!!!

The hard drive is a Seagate ST340014A mounted in a Zalman heatpipe cooler with rubber isolation; it is not audible over the two fans (exhaust and PSU).

THANK YOU, EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

-Ed

PICs are up!!!

Clicky!!!

-Ed

PS I know the optical drive is off-color. It's a Lite-On 24X burner that's gonna' go as soon as my new Samsung 16X DVD-ROM shows up, and hopefully Samsung's idea of black is, well, blacker.
    Last edited by edwardng; 12-06-2003 at 03:08 AM.

If you want performance and EXTREME quiet operation, buy a new Sony or Toshiba P-4 2.4 gig LAPTOP. Mine is quiet as a baby's sigh. Running in my bedroom with my wife sleeping (providing you lower the sound) you can't even hear it when the cooling fan is on. Won't disturb anyone.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Too bad it'd cost me as much as both my computers combined, perhaps more, and still not be as quiet as Sigma-One, or as powerful as Alpha-Two.

-Ed

But can you carry both of them under your arms?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

I can (I have a pair of these neat tower PC carriers that clip on) but someone of lesser strength probably can't.

You can't really expect a laptop to measure up in any way to desktops when comparing to two separate ones, built on budgets, one built for extreme performance and heavily overclocked, and the other one built for absolute dead silence. Laptops are severely (and I do mean extremely, perversely, severely) constrained in terms of stringent size, weight and battery life limitations that won't allow them to compete with the former setups; it's not even a fair comparison. Personally I've no need to take either of my machines with me; I'm assuming your situation is different, so if I were in your position, and needed my machine to be portable, then yes the extra money spent on a portable computing option is worth it. Personally, I'd be wasting my money, since anywhere I tend to be, there's a machine to use, not necessarily mine, but any machine with internet access is all I normally need on random basis anyway; everything else I'll come home to my babies for.

-Ed

BTW When my budget allows, I may decide to take on another project, namely some sort of LAN party rig of some sort, that is real small, sort of light, super snazzy, decently acceptable in terms of noise, and at least very-well-performing, but as I said, that'd require a budgetted allowance that I'm not ready to set aside yet.
    Last edited by edwardng; 12-07-2003 at 11:36 PM.

Alpha 2 Sigma 1, I like that I going to name my PCs.

I shall call it

AlphaX
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love

My personal web space got busted due to all the traffic! I am now hosting my site at a different place, with a newly registered domain name. It should be up by tomorrow. Please click here to see it.

-Ed

Originally posted by urdvurk
    You're right, the design I was referring to was in fact a small cabinet that you put over your computer case, so you would have all your regular fans. On top of that there was a additional fan to keep circulation going.

Apparently, if you make padded ducts that make at least three 180 degree turns, they will dampen almost all noise. So as long as the airflow through them is sufficient it should work.
    Found a link to the whole project your talking about.

http://earth.prohosting.com/uppsala1/box/

THE SITE IS UP!!!

THE SITE IS UP, THE SITE IS UP!!!

PLEASE CLICK ME!!!

-Ed

As suggested by people who have read my threads on these forums, I have posted the pics at SilentPCReview.Com's gallery. If you haven't seen my rig yet at my new home page, NgTechnik.Com, which I highly recommend anyway, take a look over here.

-Ed