Thread: Building a Linux box.. how much HDD space?

Building a Linux box.. how much HDD space?

What's the happening fellas (& gals I suppose!)

I'm in the process of converting my old box (450mhz) into a linux box for the sheer hell of wanting to try it out!.. Does anybody recommend any particular size Hard Drive?

I wasn't looking to get anything bigger than 5gb, and I can get my hands on a smaller one, I might do that.. Any reason why I should get something bigger than 5gb?? Any suggestions?

I was looking to install Mandrake 9.1 on it..

Cheers
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll

Use the 5 gig and get your hands on the smaller one and use it for the swap drive.

Used Mandrake myself not long ago till i had to redo HD. Nice O/S. Trying to figure out pc to put it on again.

Forget size exactly but seems it was around 2 gig or so. Depends on what you install of course.

I have Mandrake 9.2 on a 5 Gig partition right now with no problems.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The new Red Hat Severn beta with everything installed takes up 5.9 GB plus the boot and swap file for a total of 6+ GB.

Middle Age Member
    Sure, try out Linux, difficult for most, but a pretty cool OS. Drake 9.1/2 are fine and multimedia like DVD playback is usually is a little easier to setup in Drake than some of the other Linux flavors...if you can get a hold of SuSE 8.2 or 9 you will probably be have better out-of-box hardware support than other Linux distros ...

good luck.

for a free online Linux course visit www.linux.org and look under courses

Depends on what you want to do - you can make a very small installation of linux or it can be bloated. I used a linux box for years during school with a 2.1GB HDD. Now i've got an Ultra 1 Creator with a 4.7GB SCSI HDD running Debian and still I have ton's of space. I keep all the heavy stuff on the Windows machine

Thanks for the link Cmonster.. I'll be browsing through that for a while!

And thanks for all the info guys.. much appreciated. I'll be getting a small drive for that box. I don't really plan on doing much heavy proggies with my linux box.. I just want to use it and learn.. I've been playing around with puters for almost 20 yrs and I want to try something else, just for knowledge sake..

Heck, I even know the basics to running a Mac

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll